The One with the Advancement

Abbi dropped to the ground, leaves sticking in her hair, "by the goddess, Cyn. You nearly took my eye out!"

"Sorry! I guess my aim still isn't that great." The two other knives fell from thin air to the ground with a soft thud. 

"Okay, so we can officially mark telekinesis as a do have," Abbi said as she picked the leaves out of her hair. "Very useful if you're going to take that offer."

"Abbi-"

"She's right. It would be very useful. If properly mastered, it is one of the most powerful abilities a Mentalist can possess."

I had almost forgotten that Neal had shown up to the practice session with how completely quiet he'd been inside and out. After three weeks of working on narrowing down which abilities I had and honing the ones I found, I finally gave in and agreed to let him watch. 

"You know hovering isn't going to make me agree to help you out." I put a hand on my hip and raised a brow at Neal. 

"Oh no, I was hoping my charm would convince you." He flashed his signature grin. The first time it had ever been aimed in my direction. 

Abbi nudged me and I could feel her smile inside my mind. She knew that Neal had been trying to hold a conversation through our text messages. I'd been using them just as he asked, a way to let him know when I would be practicing with Abbi and where so no one would be alarmed when the systems showed the activity. 

Neal seemed to have other plans however, and Abbi was there for those plans. 

"Well, we will see about that. I'm still no use to anyone yet."

"But, you're getting close!" Abbi chimed in. 

I turned and glared at her. She was not making this any easier. 

"Are you ready to help with the next one? Looks like memory manipulation is up next on the list we made."

"Actually, I have to go home. Mom said something about plans tonight. I'm sure Neal wouldn't mind helping you out though!"

"I really can help," Neal said as he pushed off the tree he'd been leaning against. 

"Abbi!" It was a cry for help. She knew what I had to do for this one. She couldn't possibly make me try this ability with Neal. What about the girl code?

Abbi shot me the smile of a torturer and grabbed the bag, picking up the daggers from the ground and the two stuck in the trunks of the trees. "I'll take these and hold on to them for next time!" Bounding away as fast as she could. 

I sighed. 

"So, how do we do this memory manipulation?" Neal took a few steps closer to me. 

I ran a hand through my hair and gestured to the ground beside me. "Go ahead and take a seat."

Neal sat down, and I lowered myself down, folding my legs under me. 

"The book suggests that when starting out with this one you make physical contact with your... partner. The physical contact is supposed to help strengthen the mental contact when first learning how to use the ability. 

Neal shifted on the ground but tried to put forward his signature smile again. He finally realized the trap Abbi had set for us. 

"Fair warning. I do need to concentrate, but you also can't have your walls as air tight as they usually are." I picked at the grass beside me. 

"Walls?" 

"Yeah, that's what I call it. You know, whatever it is that you do to keep everything locked down tight when I'm around so I can't feel anything from you."