The One With the Deal

"You actually want to challenge me, son? Over a girl?" His father stepped closer, towering over him. 

The Alpha position was typically granted by lineage. Challenges to the Alpha position by other members of the pack were rare. Challenges within the family even more so. 

"She's not just a girl, and she's not the only reason. I am doing this for me. I am going to be Alpha and making my own decisions is part of that. I can't let someone else dictate my future anymore. Your blood already dictates my lineage, and that lineage demands someone who's strong and willing to stand for what they believe."

But this was no ordinary situation.  

I wanted to say something, but I couldn't. It wouldn't matter if I did; neither of them were paying any attention to me.

"You're still a child. There is a reason you were not to inherit the packs yet." His father lashed out quickly, landing a solid shot in Neal's gut. 

"You don't know how to make those decisions!" The words reverberated through the concrete room. 

Neal was doubled over coughing. He stood up, back straight. "I know that when the goddess speaks, you listen. What we do, we do for her. The goddess has said that Cynthia and I are supposed to be together. Think of what we could fall prey to if you disrespect the goddess's wishes." 

"The goddess does not control this pack! The pack is mine!" His words were a snarl and he lashed out again. 

"Neal," I shouted. 

Neal dodged the hit just in time, rolling to the side. He looked my way and his eyes were glowing a slight amber. He stood back up, turning toward his father slowly. 

"This ends here," he growled. 

Alpha Stryker rolled his shoulders, his eyes glowing as well. 

"Neal!" I shouted again.

Neal looked back at me.

My eyes pleaded with him until he finally came to stand in front of me, his hands resting over my own on the bars. His hands were warm on mine, but that was it. I closed my eyes for a moment trying to remember that feeling of our connection. 

"Neal," I whispered. "You can't do this. You can't challenge him. There is too much at stake."

"And there's too much at stake if I don't challenge him," he whispered. "You've been saying it's time to make a decision. I can't go through with his plans anymore. I win this and we can take on the Red Pine pack if they come after us for breaking plans for the union."

"Neal, it's a fight to the death. Please do not do this." I could feel the tears burning in my eyes. 

"It doesn't have to be to the death between family. If I don't, you will die; no maybe about it."

Neal reached out and brushed away a tear that had slipped, cupping my cheek with his hand.

"Maybe you should listen to the girl, son," his father said. 

He turned back to his father with a snarl. "No. This is done; we are done. I win, and I become Alpha. Your rule is over, and your plans are done."

"And when I win, you will go through with the union between you and Ophelia, and she will be dealt with." Alpha Stryker pointed directly at me. 

My heart was pounding in my chest. There was nothing I could do to stop what was happening. It was very likely that Neal losing could also mean him losing his life. At this point, I wasn't sure the Alpha would leave his own son alive. All I could do was stand there and watch.