The One Where They Prepare

"Tommy, could you please take Abigail with you and begin preparations," Neal asked, never taking his eyes off me. 

"Yes, Sir." His words were clipped, but he bowed his head slightly and turned on his heel, leading Abi out of the room. 

When they were both safely away I couldn't hold it in any longer. "So what's his deal?"

Neal pursed his lips. "He's uneasy."

"I could gather that much on my own. He wasn't doing much to hide it. He doesn't like me, does he?"

"He believes that we are making a mistake."

"You mean he thinks you're making a mistake."

"I said what I mean, Cynthia. We made this decision together. He just has concerns."

"Like?"

Neal placed his hands on my hips. "Does it matter? It won't change the outcome."

"Neal, he's your second. He is going to be around you frequently; around us. It matters to me if it could end up having an impact on us." I wrapped my arms around his waist. 

"He is concerned because you're not a wolf. He is concerned that calling off the Merge with Ophelia was a blatant show of disrespect and that we are facing near certain war. He is concerned for the same reasons we are concerned. He just doesn't feel what we feel, so he's seeing things with a different lens. He is seeing only through the eyes of the strategist, the politician."

Neal cupped my face. "I was truthful when I said that he is in full support of my choices though. He will back me and he will come around in time."

"You mean if we don't all die."

Neal chuckled and shook his head. "That's one way to put it."

I pulled Neal over to the couch, sitting us down and I leaned over, laying on him and pressing my cheek against his chest. He snuggled up under me, with me between his legs and I lay there listening to his heartbeat while Neal wrapped his arms tight around me. I felt grounded and at peace with the strong beat against my cheek and the strength of his arms. 

We stayed there in silence, Neal absentmindedly stroked my head, his fingers running over the braids. 

What Neal said made sense, there were reasons to be concerned. And the fact that Tommy wasn't afraid to make his concerns known to Neal had to be a good thing. It meant that Tommy would push him to ensure Neal would think of all sides to make the correct decision. Yet I still felt uneasy about Tommy. I hoped that was just my own uncertainty and not something my abilities were picking up on that I just couldn't put my finger on. 

I could feel that primal need growing again, Neal's shields slipping. His heart started to pound a little faster, his breathing coming a little quicker. 

I looked up at him and caught an amber flash in his eyes. 

"It's the full moon." His voice was laced with a low growl. "I don't usually have this much trouble controlling it though."

"It's your first full moon as Alpha, not to mention all the stress you've been under."

"And you," he whispered."

"Me?"

His eyes flashed amber again and he nodded. 

I sat up and Neal dropped his hand. I quickly grabbed both of his, pinning them beside his head on the arm of the couch and straddled his waist. He let out a low growl and I cut him off with a hard press of my lips against his. I rocked my hips against him and he growled again before biting my lip.