"What?"

"When Mr Jones suggested you taking us on wasn't charity I doubted him. I thought he was being kind to us. Charity. You taking us on. Altruistic."

She sighed. "What's this really about?" She asked tiredly.

"The fact you are a self-centred miser pretending to be kind-hearted!" He snapped without really thinking about his words.

Regan's mouth all but dropped open. Pretending to be kind-hearted? She blinked. Of course she was kind! Self-centred miser? How, given she has no money!

They stared at each other. He looked furious. She looked shocked.

Eventually, she said quietly, "No. I'm not." She shook her head. She didn't understand why he was suddenly so hostile, they had managed a serene session for a few weeks, apart from the charity fundraiser matter last week. The weeks had been a very tranquil period. Yes, he thought she wasn't spending much on the farm, so she could understand the comment about being a miser, but now he thought she was self absorbed and selfish. When and how had he reached that conclusion?

"I don't appreciate being conned." He said equally quietly.

"Conned?" She was too tired to deal with his cryptic comments. "How have I conned you?"

"My grandfather and I have worked here for months."

"Yes. I know. And you know I appreciate that."

"Only I get a wage. My grandfather gets nothing!" He folded his arms to stop him from reaching for her and shaking her. He was furious. Had been furious ever since Caro's contacts had told him what he should be earning as a farm manager. His wage didn't come close. She paid him what was generally accepted as payment for a baseline farm labourer. Taken the fact they were practically destitute and she used it to serve her purpose. She was ripping them off.

"I house and feed you all." Regan retorted defensively.

"Yes. I agree, you do. But this is not a kibbutz. You are getting the better deal." He strode nearer, even as he fought to keep his temper in check. Ever since he had learned that she was paying him just about the minimum wage for a farm labourer, when he practically ran the place for her, his temper had simply festered. "We aren't going to be stepped on either. Been there, done that. Not doing it again."

"You think I'm taking advantage?"

"Are you saying you aren't ripping us off?" When he'd heard about the difference between what his salary and the average manager, he'd thought he'd misheard. But as things had been explained to him, he realised he and his family had been exploited, by her. "You pay me a salary. A pittance. You get my granddad for free. You are taking advantage."

Regan sat down. "What makes you think I can afford to pay you more or your granddad?"

"Designer garb is not cheap! You wear designer clothes!"

Regan breathed out a sigh. They weren't new either. In fact the last time she bought anything new was, oh, about twelve months back and that was her underwear. "I'm not minting money Mr Cardozo."

"Fine." He folded his arms. She wasn't likely to increase his wage. Or pay his grandfather. Gray had a better offer. And he couldn't keep pretending around her, Caro was starting to wonder why their conversations always included Regan. "I understand it is common practice to give notice." He stated coolly and watched her reaction carefully.

"Notice?" Regan gripped the table as her world tilted. Notice? He was going to leave?

"Yes, I'm giving a month's notice."

"What?" She nearly fainted. Month notice? He was leaving? That can't be right. She rubbed her forehead.

"A month. I'm giving, you, Dr Calhoun, notice. One month." He glared at her. "Do you want it in writing?"

"One month."

"I'll put it in writing if that's what you want. And will include my reasons: You are cheating my family. I am not going to work for an unprincipled, underhand, sly, devious miser."

His adjectives tumbled over her confidence. "I gather by this drama, that you have something lined up?" She asked quietly. Of course he did, otherwise he would want more time to find work. She wondered where he'd picked up work. It didn't take her long to hear the answer to that question.

"Caro's cousin's in-laws have a potential job going." His tone was still laced with fury.

"I see." Shock settled in and numbed the pain. They were leaving. He was leaving. She was going to have to manage this place. On her own. Again. With more debt. With more problems. With more issues to sort out.

"As farm manager. Paid accordingly. Reasonable, fair, salary for hard work." Gray announced. A tiny muscle beat at his jaw line as he thrust out his chin and added, "She recommended me."

"Right." She nodded automatically, not really sure that she was even listening anymore, as her world started to crumble around her. The enormity of his actions and their impact on her life started to send shockwaves through her. "Do you need a reference?"

He nearly laughed. "From you? You thinking they will accept a reference from someone who cheated their employee? In any case, what do you know about running a farm?"

She bit her lip.

He leaned forward, "So, no, I would not approach you for a reference! Your reference would mean nothing. Caro gave me a reference. She has seen my work at this farm, and she vouched for me. Her cousin's in-laws trust her." He glared at Regan, "So, just to reiterate. I do not need your reference."