I Can't Do This

After having separated the two Otori boys and scolding them for their childish fight, I found myself wandering down the hall. That was the only time I'd ever really yelled at anyone. It wasn't like me. Not only that, they were two of the sons of the man I was supposed to be working for.

Funny thing was, what I'd said had been right. Don't try to act so noble! You're no better than he is, Kyoya! Those words echoed in my mind as I'd walked away. Sure, Kyoya had rescued me from Akito, but that didn't really mean anything when Kyoya had tried to do exactly what he had. In a way, despite all their differences, they were the same.

I don't think I can handle this, I thought as I found myself at the door of Mr. Otori's office. Could there possibly be some other way to work this out? I certainly hoped so.

"Mr. Otori? May we discuss something a moment?" I asked, entering the room. He sat there at his desk, writing something. When I'd asked, he merely nodded and motioned for me to sit in the chair in front of his desk.

"What is it that is bothering you?" I guess it was pretty obvious that I was troubled. Until now, there had just been the one time that there had been any trouble. Until now, it had been so easy to handle.

I just sighed and decided to explain. "I... I can't do this. Isn't there any other way we can work this out?" The reason I was here was to serve as a way to repay my father's debt, but was this the only way?

Mr. Otori gave me a confused look. With a sigh, I told him everything. Akito's advances towards me, that day that Kyoya had kissed me, and then what had just happened moments ago. He seemed a bit surprised, likely because his two youngest sons didn't seem like they would do such a thing. But then again, wasn't it normal for young men to do crazy things when a young lady was involved?

When I'd finished explaining, he was quiet a moment. "Your father was quite worried about how the arrangement would affect you when we were working it out," he told me after thinking it through. "Perhaps the two of us might be able to come to a more suitable way to work this out."

To be honest, I wasn't sure I wanted to really know what this new arrangement would be. "If I might make one request, Mr. Otori?" H merely nodded and I continued. "Whatever agreement we come to, can we not tell Kyoya or Akito?"