Chapter 23

"So, we'll be seeing a lot more of this place then?" James asked. He seemed to have relaxed now that he had decided to accept Aisa's help.

"Not as such," Aisa replied with a shake of his head. "The In-Between is ever-shifting. It has no natural form, and draws its appearance from the minds of those wandering within it."

It suddenly clicked with Tobias, and he raised his hand instinctively as he voiced his thoughts. "That's why physics was wonky! Because we both thought it was just a dream!" he said, proud of his sudden insight.

"Perhaps," Aisa said, thoughtful.

"That's great and all, but what about Tobias?" James asked. "If we're both chosen for some great task, doesn't he get something too?" He held up his blade, emphasizing his point.

"Oh, I don't think I should-" Tobias started to say, taking a step back reflexively.

"Although you do not wield the blade, you are no less important," Aisa said.

"Well...when you put it that way...I do sound pretty useless." It was strange to think that he had just been fighting side by side with his best friend against such an overwhelming force, only to be once again faced by his own limitations. There was only one blade, and it was obvious that James was the only one who could ever wield it. He wasn't James. He didn't always do the right thing without hesitation. Maybe one day he could actually be worthy of something greater. He wanted to be just like James. But he couldn't delude himself into thinking he was already there.

But Aisa didn't seem to think so, and he took a step towards Tobias, removing a ring from his right hand as he did. "Very well," he said, handing the ring to Tobias. "Take this, as a gift from me."

The ring was a plain gold metal band, with no markings to distinguish it. "A ring?" he asked, skeptical. "Thanks, but I'm already engaged."

"This is more than just a ring, Tobias," Aisa said. "It grants you control of your weight, both force and direction."

The image of Aisa's strange flight during their battle popped into his head. "Ah!" he exclaimed, suddenly very excited. "So that's how you did it!"

"It will protect you from impact to a certain extent, just be cautious not to overextend it," Aisa warned.

The ring was a bit big for him, so he had to put it on his middle finger on his right hand. He held it up, examining it with pride until his self-doubt began to creep back into his mind, dimming his excitement. "You do realize who you are giving this stuff to, right?" His question was candid, cutting straight to the heart of what really bothered him. "I mean, we're not the most competent guys around."

As if in answer, James planted the end of the blade in the ground at his feet, prepared to shut down Tobias's concern like he always did. But the ground split beneath the blade, opening a gash in space beneath his feet.

Tobias saw the second gash appear over his head as James began falling through, and he reacted quickly, pushing James so he fell at an angle. James caught himself on the opening, and clung there, half in, half out of the hole in the ground, with his lower half dangling just above Tobias's head.

"Uh, help? Please?" James pleaded as he started to lose his grip, the loose sand preventing him from gaining proper purchase.

"I am only the blade's guardian. I did not choose the wielder, nor those who journey with him," Aisa answered.

"But why were we chosen?" Tobias asked, taking a step to the side to avoid James's flailing legs. He needed an answer. Even if it wasn't true. He wanted to believe that maybe he was destined for some grand role in saving the world, but that was a delusion he had been forced to grow out of long ago.