Chapter 9

Bryce slipped away from the Elder's house in the cover of darkness as the village slept. Without the city lights he was used to, Bryce had trouble finding his way around. He worked his way cautiously around the perimeter, trying to find the storehouse Shyla was sleeping in, when he almost stumbled on Colonel as he kept watch. Catching himself, he ducked back against the corner of the house out of view.

He was trying to think of his next move when Flywheel's voice called out. "If you stay up all night, who's gonna shoot all the bandits?"

It took Bryce one heart-pounding moment to realize Flywheel was talking to Colonel and not him.

"I thought that's what we had Truthseeker for," Colonel replied, glancing up as Flywheel approached.

"Oh, Truthseeker'll shoot at them," Flywheel said cheekily, "but you know how he is. Better to have a sharpshooter with a clear head out there."

Colonel grimaced as he shifted the rifle on his shoulder. "I always have a clear head. You know that."

Flywheel put his hand on Colonel's shoulder and shook him gently. "All the same, I'll take watch for the night. I don't do much more than run my mouth anyway."

Colonel returned the gesture, placing his hand on Flywheel's shoulder and shaking him a bit more firmly. "You're a decent scoundrel, Flywheel," he said with a smile.

"Aw, you're making me blush," Flywheel said, waving him off.

Bryce didn't wait around to hear anything else as he backtracked to find another route. He weaved his way between the buildings, working his way at an angle towards the storehouse.

Sure, he gets chummy with his mates, but he treats me like garbage, Bryce lamented, still sore at Colonel's treatment of him earlier.

He had nearly reached his destination when he really did bump right into Colonel, heading back from his watch.

Colonel steadied him as he started to fall. "That was a good shot you made earlier, Bryce," Colonel said.

"Oh! I was just--uh, hi!" Bryce stumbled over his words as he tried to regain his composure. He swept his hair out of his face and stuck out his hand to the big man.

"But that won't be enough," Colonel continued, ignoring Bryce's nervous behavior.

Bryce dropped his hand. "I'm not--look, I want to help these people just as much as you do, but--"

"You'll be looking the enemy in the eye when you shoot him," said Colonel, cutting Bryce off. "It doesn't come naturally, and it's a terrible toll."

Colonel gripped Bryce's shoulder briefly, just as he had with Flywheel just a few minutes earlier. His gaze pierced through Bryce, leaving him speechless.

"Make sure what you know what you're fighting for," Colonel said. He released him, and walked past into the house they stood next to. He paused in the doorway, and added, "and make sure it's worth it." Then he disappeared inside.

Bryce stood a moment longer, still feeling the weight of the big man's hand on his shoulder. "I have to get out of here," Bryce told himself as he struggled to break free of the spell Colonel's words had placed on him.

He finally slipped away, making it to the storehouse without further incident. He cracked the door open and peered inside. It was dim, but the big mech had several small lights that enabled him to see. He spotted Shyla, sleeping on a makeshift bed of a few sacks of grain. He closed the door quietly behind him as he entered, and cautiously crept over and started shaking her gently awake.