N I N E T E E N

<Keep calm and dab on>

|19|

EXACTLY ONE month after that distasteful dinner I sat, interfixed between two hot boys who happened to be the only friends I had in this school; one quiet and the other, not so quiet. You guessed right, Kian was the noisy one.

He made little taps with the blue ball pen he grasped in his right hand, hitting it continuously on the arm of his chair. Since I sat next to him, I was the only one misfortuned to hear those annoying beats.

Here's why he was bugging me. He'd video called me yesterday night but I had declined all for the sole reason of hating video calls. I looked so ugly in them and me being darn stupid as usual, made the mistake of spilling that very fact to him once. Every now and then, he called me almost every night to verify if I truly was ugly as I had claimed. And if I didn't pick, he always had something up his sleeve for me the next day. So it really wasn't a surprise that this was his revenge, albeit a very subtle one.

His taps became louder and more irritating by the second. With the way he kept on striking the seat, I couldn't help but pity the straitened chair for suffering such a sad fate. Unheeding of my vexation, he persisted in his absurd deed and I just couldn't take it anymore. I've literally heard enough!

"Can you please stop that?!" I whispered furiously, whipping my head around so fast and almost breaking my neck in the process. This boy will probably be the death of me one day. Honestly.

"Make me." He speared me an annoying smirk, one that I immediately wanted to slap off his face. Apparently he's in taunting mode, sheesh.

Jayden poked me gently on my elbow and brought me back to Planet Earth for I was already on Planet OAK (Operation Annihilate Kian), planning his murder. I peered directly at him---definitely not happy he'd interrupted my master plan which was to flay Kian and throw him to a den crammed full with extremely hungry lions---my irritated face on display.

"Yes?" I inquired, curious as to why he'd poked me. Bruh shouldn't add to my troubles.

"Kian's disturbing you right?" He had a smile in his voice, the bright fluorescent bulbs overhead giving him a cheerful aura and highlighting the smooth bronze of his skin. If you're wondering, Jayden was Kian's friend too although he wasn't as 'close' as I was to him. I could sense a slight animosity in the air whenever I happened to be in the same room with them. The origin of that, I wasn't sure.

"Yes, he's so annoying!" I exclaimed, hushing my voice lest Mr. Bentley overhear me. The said teacher in question wasn't even interested in what we the students were doing because he utterly fixed his whole being on his lesson notes.

Jayden made a weird sound in his throat and nodded his head in a knowing jab. Couldn't he say something? He faced down, hair bobbing and I knew he was trying to hide a smile. Asshat.

Kian began beating his chair faster, the noise ear-splitting.

Suddenly an idea of exchanging seats with Jayden lit up in my head. That was perfect because there was no way Kian's ruckus could get to me if someone sat between us.

"Want to exchange seats? I can't bear his hassle any longer. Please," I pleaded, clasping my palms together as if I was earnestly praying for divine intervention. And indeed I was.

The reply Jayden gave me was to adjust his exceptionally hideous glasses that neither enhanced his countenance nor gave me the opportunity of seeing the colour of his eyes. Yes, it's been four weeks and 12 days(sue me if I'm counting) and I still haven't seen the colour of my friend's eyes. How weird is that?