T H I R T Y - O N E

<Never assume someone loves you by their sweetness. Sometimes you're just an option when they're bored>

|31|

THE MOMENT I placed my lips on Jayden's, a blissful sensation of euphoria washed over me, making me tremble in need.

At first, he remained immobile and didn't respond but when I sucked on his lower lip, biting it lightly, he began kissing me back. Deeper. Thorough. Passionately. His hands clutched my sides tightly.

He tasted of cherries. Those bing blood-red cherries that were intensely sweet with a vibrant aftertaste which I wholly welcomed, soughting more and more of him. To immerse myself into this whirlpool of burning passion.

My fingers were meshed in his curly hair now as we frantically kissed each other, our tongues waltzing an erotic dance rhythm, a warm and fuzzy feeling unfurling deep in the pit of my stomach. I didn't want this kiss to end.

Unfortunately, my wishes weren't granted and to my utter dismay, he was the first to pull away. He inhaled raggedly, his breath coming in short pants and turned away from me, trying to regain some semblance of control.

I swallowed the words of protest on the tip of my recently kissed tongue and watched him, aftershocks of our earth shattering kiss coursing violently through my skin, refusing to think about what we'd just done. I ached to see the emotions on his face but I couldn't, dusk was already approaching.

His breathing calm now, Jayden put on his glasses---I'd ripped them off in my haste--- and spoke after some minutes, his husky tone inflected with an emotion that almost spurred me to kiss him again, still not facing me, "Olayinka. . ."

But I wasn't about to hear whatever he was on the verge of saying. I knew he would say something bad. Something that would spoil this special moment for me so I placed a finger on his moist lips. "Shh."

He breathed in deeply, a harsh sound escaping him and started driving once more, the enormity of what we'd just done looming between us. But I was satisfied. I'd accomplished what I wanted. I'd wiped away Kian's foul kiss. Nothing else mattered.

The raging torment that had ravaged me was just an oblivion now. Jayden's kiss had sparked something up in me and as Sia's song, Broken Glass, played, I sang along, temporarily forgetting my woes and troubles.

Except that it didn't last long. After Jayden dropped me off without a word, I sat on the bed, my head in between my knees. The euphoria that had seized me earlier evaporated and left in its wake, shock. Shock at my careless behaviour.

I was no longer numb. I had totally blurred the friendship line between Jayden and I, smudging it without a thought.

My emotions went haywire, questions floating around my mind and that awful sadness tormenting me anew. Dammit! What had I just done?

Oh my God, I moaned, my heart dismantling into minute shards of misery as realization dawned on me.

Kian. Those years of him bullying me, his fake kindness and me desperately wanting to be accepted. Jayden. His gentleness and slight teasing, his protective aura and my zeal to not like him more than was necessary. Everything flashed in my mind's eye, leaving me bereft and an acute sense of loss overwhelmed my soul. I finally knew the answer to all those questions.

Then I let the scorching tears fall free.

***

School on Monday was not highly anticipated. I had gone through my classes, listless and not at all interested in lessons. Nothing made sense to me anymore.