Chapter 2 - Invitation to Danger

1

Lunchtime has always been quite upbeat all around Fuyusato Academy. It was the time for students to have their much-awaited break from the grind that is the early morning sessions.

Not only that, lunchtime served as an hour when they can catch up with one another and hang out, most especially with friends in different classes.

For Kazuki Arata, he found himself in the usual situation of being seated in front of the usual circular table with his two friends in the school cafeteria. That would have been the case, until a little over two weeks ago.

"Mind if I join you guys again?"

Sayaka Uehara, as she has been doing occasionally the past two weeks, once again approached the trio with her food on a tray.

"Sure," Amagi paused before answering and unwrapping her packed rice balls.

"You're always welcome to be an honorary member of our club!" said Shiki.

Kazuki saw the beam on his face as his spiky-haired friend hurriedly moved to the side, opening up a seat beside him.

However, Uehara decided to take her seat beside Kazuki, much to the dismay of Shiki.

"Ignored again..."

Kazuki could swear that he heard a slight chuckle from his long-haired classmate. However, he focused more on opening his bento box.

The moment he opened it, the scent of fried shrimp filled the air, and he looked at the neatly-prepared bento in amazement. There's definitely a lot, more than enough for him.

He quietly thanked Hikari for yet again giving this meal her all. She never lets up.

"Must be so lucky to have a sweet little sister preparing all those delicious meals for you, huh?" teased Shiki. "But you know, I envy you for something else."

Kazuki knew that his friend was obviously pointing out the fact that once again, he found himself having two girls seated on both sides of his. It was so obvious given where Shiki's glance was.

Completely ignoring him, Kazuki instead talked to Amagi.

"Care for some?" he offered.

"Sure thing. Can't say no to Hikari's cooking."

Amagi took a piece of shrimp with her chopsticks and quickly gulped it down.

Kazuki then turned to the other girl. "You, too, Uehara."

Uehara hesitated for a moment before getting exactly one piece from her classmate.

"Hmmm, this is good," commented her after taking a bite. "I wonder what your little sister is like. I think I want to meet her one of these days, Arata."

"Just so you know, I often go to the Arata household and learn all the tools of the trade from Hikari," said Amagi. She crossed her arms over her chest and showed off a very rare look of swagger.

Weird flex, but okay?

Kazuki honestly found Amagi's statement to be sudden and out of nowhere. She seemed... more confident than usual for some reason. Nonetheless, he kept those thoughts to himself and resumed eating.

"Is that so? Introduce me, then," smiled Uehara. "I somehow think that you'd do a better job than Arata here."

"That hurt more than it should have for some reason," commented Kazuki as he found himself caught up in the lively mood.

The loud sound of Shiki clearing his throat interrupted everything, and he stood up, apparently having enough of being left out.

"Well, anywaaaay..." he started with a rough and sarcastic tone. "Anyone got plans after classes? Arata? Oh, and don't tell me you're ditching hangouts to review again, Amagi."