"You'd better be." Xane said.

His words were followed by a heavy knock that made everyone else in the room tense. Xane tilted his head toward the door. His eyes never once leaving mine as he assessed me. I took a deep breath, turned, and nodded to Adam. As my technical beta he would be the only person, besides Emily, that could speak to them for me.

"Good Afternoon, I am Councilor Blake. You should have received notice of our pending investigation and inspection." A older, no nonsense voice said from the other side of the door.

"We did." Adam confirmed. "However, we were informed you would be here some time next week."

"An error I'm sure." Another new voice said. 

I could practically feel Xane rolling his eyes behind me. We all knew that their little "mix up" with the dates had been deliberate. They wanted to catch us off guard and unprepared. Fortunately we'd been prepared for that.

"We would like to speak with your Alpha. May we come in?" The first asked.

Adam glanced over at me and I gave him a firm nod. Cooperation was key. The less suspicious we seemed the smoother this entire thing would go. If nothing else we had to be careful, for the pack.

"Rylan is the acting Alpha, while Silas is away." Adam explained as people filed into the now cramped living room. Of the seven only two appeared to be in finer clothes. Which meant five fighters and only two council members. The rest had to be outside or waiting somewhere else. I'd have to wait to cast my spell. 

"Ryan Avi?" One of the first men that entered asked. He had dark hair with a few silver streaks throughout and equally dark eyes.

"Yes." Adam confirmed with an open handed gesture toward me.

The man gave me a thorough once over. His scowl oozed disapproval and contempt.

"Rylan Avi has charges pending due to her rogue status. She is not a permissible Alpha and there for will not be acknowledged as such. Do you have another?" He asked with that same no nonsense tone. 

I ground my teeth together but Alexanders touch on my arm reminded me that Silas wouldn't want me to lose my temper. It wasn't good for my plan or any thing else going on here. 

"That would be me." Emily said clearing her throat and stepping forward.

"Emily Avi?" He asked giving her the same assessing once over. Though I wouldn't have thought it possible his contempt and disapproval seemed to grow.

"Yes." She said.

"How long have you been acting Alpha?" He asked.

Emily glanced over to me and then we both looked over at Xane. His scowl was surprisingly harsh which only confirmed that this was some kind of verbal trap. Still Emily had to answer and the truth was better than trying to get out of a lie later on.

"Two months, give or take a few days." She said.

"So you were in command when Willow pack moved in on the Shadow Tree pack?" He asked.

"What?" Emily asked. "NO. We didn't move in on anyone." She said.

"Were you or were you not in charge when your fighters moved into another Alpha's territory without permission?" The councilman asked.

"I- I was but-" Emily started.

"Emily Avi, you are being detained for breaking the treaty between allied packs without pretense or cause. You will be tried accordingly and processed for war crimes and potential treason." The councilman said.

Sovereign (Silenced Part 2)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara