Part 34.

I tried to slip out of bed without waking Silas. He'd come in so late the last few nights that I knew he needed the extra rest, especially if he and the others were leaving today.

I didn't make it more than an inch before Silas's arm tightened around me and he made some kind of growl or grumble noise.

I laughed quietly at his obvious disapproval. He was usually a morning person so it was a bit of a surprise that he was so vocally opposed to my getting up.

Still I turned back over and snuggled into his chest. I wasn't against a few more minutes of having him so close before the chaos of our current lives ensued.

"Five minutes." He grumbled and shifted wrapping both arms around me.

I smiled and forced my eyes closed once again. There was no harm in trying to doze for a few more minutes.

I focused on Silas's slow and steady breaths. They were soothing but no matter how hard I tried to silence my thoughts they kept spinning.

Logan was heading out to meet with the other Alpha's and coordinate an official meeting to discuss the potentials of war. Zak was returning to Crescent Moon territory to ensure things were running smoothly within their pack. Luka, Alex, and Silas were going after Amelia. Which left Emily, Adam, and I in charge of Willow pack since Aaron still refused to wake up.

It was a lot to think about and the more I thought about it all the more uncomfortable I felt.

I shifted around hoping that the change in position would allow me a better opportunity to get back to sleep.

It didn't.

I was starting to worry about the council, about the potential for them to move Amelia before they could get to her, and about not correctly running the pack. I'd never actually played Alpha. In wolfsbane I'd been in charge of almost everything at one time or another but to be in charge of everything all at once sounded a little overwhelming.

I shifted again. This time trying to distract myself form my spiraling thoughts and fears of failure. 

Silas laughed softly and squeezed me just a little tighter.

"I think you only made it two minutes love." He mumbled with a sigh.

~Sorry.~ I said laying as still as I possibly could.

"Don't be. I just want you in my arms for a few more minutes,  we don't have to sleep." He said smoothing my hair. He placed a linger kiss against the top of my head and then shifted back so that he could look down at me fully.

"I wanted to ask about something." He admitted with a sigh. 

~What is it?~ I asked seeing the edges of mouth tipping down.

"I saw the book you were reading yesterday... Blood magic?" He asked.

I pressed my lips into a thin line and nodded. I knew form the reading alone why everyone was so disproving of blood magic. It was complex and dangerous stuff. It also happened to be exactly what I needed to strip the council of their wolves.

~I found an alteration to the spell we were discussing. It will allow me to take the wolves away from the council without causing them harm and if they are worthy it allows for them to earn them back.~ I explained.

"But at what cost? Magic is a give and take just like everything else and blood magic can have steep consequences." Silas said.

I nodded and shifted to sit up next to him instead of laying down.

~The spell requires that everything be prepared before the ceremony. It also requires a ground connection so that it won't be able to pull life form the user or any others. It says it may cause a few trees to go into an early abscission but nothing wide scale or permanent. The largest downside is that it may effect their bloodlines, not just them, but that is covered by the importance of them being able to get their wolves back if they are worthy of doing so. The others included.~ I explained quickly.

"You sound very determined." Silas acknowledged.

~Because I know I can do this and I know its what I need to do. If we can stop the council from destroying our world and maybe even stop the others from ripping each other to shreds over power then I have to try.~ I tried to explain.

"So what are you not telling me?" Silas asked.

I was sure I hadn't shown any signs of discomfort or wavering that would give me away but as always Silas caught on to my underlying stress.

~I have to close our link during the spell.~ I admitted quietly.

"No." Silas dismissed. "Absolutely not."

~It would only be for a few minutes. I can't leave it open. Anyone connected or with in range risks losing their wolves along with the council. I've concentrated the barrier to the pack house, where they will be but it's where I will be. If we are connected it may rip your wolf away too.~ I said.

"You said they have the opportunity to prove they are worthy of having a wolf." Silas said.

I bit my lip and nodded slowly. I had said that and I meant it. They could earn their wolves back but that didn't apply to me.

~The person casting doesn't get that opportunity.~ I admitted.

"So you're saying this spell takes your wolf away permanently?" Silas asked.

~...My wolf is already gone. But that's why it's so important to pause our connection. So that you don't risk losing YOUR wolf permanently.~ I said shaking my head. He knew that. I didn't understand why he was asking about my wolf.

"You think I am unworthy?" Silas asked curiously.

~No!~ I said quickly. ~I think that... I think that part of the reason I want to remove their wolves is to show them a piece of what they did to me. I know they weren't directly involved but... a large part of me still wants revenge and I know that's wrong. I know it would make me unworthy and with our connection I don't want you to pay that price for me.~

"There is a difference between revenge and justice. Because you are allowing them the opportunity to better themselves and prove that they are not the monsters they've shown to be, I firmly believe that this is justice. You shouldn't be punished for that." Silas said.

~Neither should you.~ I said which was my entire point. I had nothing to loose. He did. 

~If I keep the link open your wolf could become the price. I can't allow that and this is the only way I can see Justice for the council without killing them. Please Silas. It will only be for a few hours at most.~ I explained. 

Silas sighed and shoved a hand through his hair as he considered our situation.  

"You get exactly two hours. If it's even a moment longer I will assume something is very wrong and come back immediately with or without Amelia." He said.

I opened my mouth temporarily stunned into gaping at him. I couldn't believe he would say that. I couldn't believe he would do that. There was no way he would actually leave her there.

"I know what you're thinking and you're wrong." He said watching me carefully. "I've lived without you before but I won't do it again. If you die, I'm done. Link or not. Which will leave Amelia an orphan again. So you'd better be damn careful with this magic and be sure that you will survive before casting." Silas said.

I gulped and nodded.

He knew exactly how to threaten me and it worked like a charm. I couldn't abandon Amelia knowing that Silas wouldn't be there for her either. I couldn't risk my life over this spell knowing I would be risking theirs too. I'd have to be very, very, careful. 

~Two hours.~ I agreed. 

I could make it work. 

I had too.