Part 7

Quinn couldn't come in with me because he had to get to training and I didn't need him too. I had been to Aaron and Emily's enough to be comfortable with being dropped off. I stood on the porch and knocked. It was a little weird to be knocking. Usually I just walked in since I was there so often but today felt different. I didn't want to walk in and ruin Silas's safe spot.

Emily opened the door. She took one look at me and stepped forward trapping me in a hug. I hugged her back. I needed it. My eyes burned again. One. Two. Three... I started counting and held my breath. I didn't want to go in crying.

When Emily finally pulled back from the hug I had myself under control again.

"Sorry I know my hugs are awkward with this damn thing..." She laughed and rubbed at her belly but I could hear the tears in her laugh. Four. Five. Six...

'Is he here?' I asked.

She shook her head no.

"He went home last night." She said gently.

'Is Aaron here?' I asked.

She nodded and gestured for me to come in. I followed her into the house and down the hall to the kitchen. Aaron had his phone to his ear and a hand clinched in his hair. We both paused. Aaron only did that when he was freaking out over something. Aaron only ever freaked out if it was something very bad.

"I understand." Aaron said. His tone was deceptively calm. He hung up the phone and tossed it on the counter with a stream of curse words.

"What is it? What happened?" Emily asked.

"Silas is being audited by the council. They want to know if he is fit to be an Alpha and a father, and they want to know if he had anything to do with Alpha Daniels death." Aaron said through gritted teeth.

My eyes widened and my stomach sank.

"When?" Emily asked.

"The representative arrived about an hour ago." Aaron said.

'What do we do?' I asked. We had to help him. Silas was an amazing Alpha and father. He didn't deserve this. The only reason he had killed Alpha Daniels was because of me. This was my fault. I had to do something.

Aaron slid his hand back into his hair and shook his head.

"I don't know." He said. "I don't... We can't... There's nothing..."

He was too flustered to get  a full sentence out. 

Emily moved forward and placed her hands on Aaron's chest distracting him.

"We'll be fine." She said. "All of us... You guys have been preparing for this for a long time."

"But if they find out about us, about what we can do or who you are... If they remove Silas...." Aaron was shaking his head and breathing heavily. My mouth popped open. I recognized what was happening. Aaron was panicking.

"The baby..." He whispered.

"The baby is fine. I'm fine. You and Rylan are fine." Emily said. "They won't find out about your powers or Rylan's..." Emily glanced back at me for help. 

I nodded.

'I can't cast with the... medication.' I signed.

"And if they do ask Silas to step down you are ready for that too. Adam and Alex are ready. Quinn is ready. We can do this. You can do this. Silas has been prepping you to be alpha since before you were both elected." Emily said.

Aaron shook his head. His arms came down to pull Emily in to a hug and he leaned in to bury his face in her hair.

"Em this bad. I can feel it. Something horrible is going to happen to me... to Rylan... Silas isn't going to..." Aaron shook his head.

"Silas is going to follow the plan we discussed. Nothing is going to happen to you. I won't let it. And nothing is going to happen to Ry either. We have her now. She's safe here." Emily said.

I nodded again even though neither of them could actually see me. The baby monitor on the counter flashed and a small fussing cry sounded through the kitchen. I picked up the monitor and headed down the hall. It was a perfect excuse to give them a few minutes alone while I grabbed Amelia.