Part 17

I tugged at the dress again as I looked at it in the mirror. The front wasn't unreasonably low and the length was a perfect mid-thigh but till something about it felt wrong. I hadn't worn a dress since everything that had happened in my old pack. No matter how much I wanted to do this for Emily, for her ceremony, I wasn't sure if I could. I peered at my reflection curiously. Emily had been right about the deep blue. It made my eyes pop and the flowy style concealed all of my left-over bruises. Most of them had healed but the worst of which had yet to fade.

"Rylan..." Silas knocked quietly on the door and grabbed my attention. 

He had been very patient even though I had been in the bathroom for over an hour now. The last Forty-five minutes of which I had spent working up the courage to actually leave the bathroom. I clinched my teeth and opened the door. I didn't want to keep Silas waiting any longer.

Silas stepped back for me to come out once I'd opened the door but I was frozen in place. I'd forgotten how handsome Silas looked dressed up. His suit was all black including the vest. He had on a light blue shirt that matched Amelia's dress and a dark blue tie that was the exact shade of my dress.

"Leannan, if you're uncomfortable in the dress you can change and tell Em I spilled something on you." He offered quietly.

I raised my eyes to his and shook my head. We couldn't do that to her.

"That's good because you look beautiful." He smiled.

I shook my head again and looked down, fidgeting with the hem of the dress.

~It's pretty but...~ I was too exposed. Having my legs bare to the world under such simple circumstances felt wrong. It made me vulnerable.

Silas cleared his throat and held up a slip of black fabric. I looked at the fabric curiously. It looked like a pair of small, thin, black pants. They looked cozy and the thought of wearing them under my dress eased the tension tremendously. There was only one down side to it. Emily would hate them. I sighed and shook my head.

"You can always take them off for the ceremony if Emily hate them." Silas said reading my thoughts.

I looked at them again. It sounded like a perfect plan. I stepped forward to take the leggings. My legs wobbled unsteadily and I had to catch myself on the door frame. I looked up at Silas with wide eyes. I didn't know how Emily had expected me to walk in these ridiculous shoes.

"It's going to be fine. Just walk normal and trust your balance. I'll be next you the entire ceremony and I promise I won't let you fall." Silas said.

___________________________________________________________

Silas didn't talk on our drive over to meet up with Emily and Aaron. Even when we parked Silas kept his eyes forward to take in the area. I twisted the hem of my dress around one finger and glanced around as well. We'd spent the last few days cleaning and setting up. The meadow looked completely different with the tents and tables set up. I was excited to see how different the barn looked. From the outside it still looked like a faded old building but with all the work we had put on the inside I was sure it would look beautiful and perfect for the dancing  Cassy was so excited about.

I glanced back at Silas to see if he thought it looked great too. He wasn't looking around any more. His was looking down at the steering wheel where his hands were clinched.

'Silas?' I signed but he didn't seem to see my movements.

~Silas?~ I tried again. This time I reached out placing my hand over one of his.