chapter 50 | Warm skin

"What about you?" I break the silence.

Her face makes it hard for me to know whether this is a yes or no, and she presses her rosy, swollen lips together. "No one other than Cookie waits for me at home," she voices out, softly. "Well, I have a kitten, but I don't know if that counts."

My sentence gets her to giggle and make eye contact. "A kitten?"

"Yes, her name is princess, she's treated like one at my house," I tell her the truth and love the sound of her quiet and gentle laughter that she cannot hold in. "You really have a tender heart under those big muscles," she mentions them again. "Hey, stop talking about them like that, I'm all shy. All right?" I cover my chest with my hands to joke with her, but her adorable voice never ceases to echo through the room. "I'm sorry, I'll stop talking about your muscles."

"Hm, this is better," I pretend to like it more that way and take another gulp of my wine. "Let's get on the sofa," she rises from her chair and invites me to get more comfortable on the cushions, so I accept and move there. I let her sit down first, taking a look at the Christmas tree again after noticing earlier that it has the same shades than mine, I put my glass down to be right next to her, with barely a hair of space between our bodies. "I might fall asleep after eating so well..." I bite my lips and stretch.

"Jeez, you're getting on in years, Sir. I'm scared for my turn..." she does it again. Since there's no tension between us anymore, I give a little slap to the side of her thigh. "Ay. Haven't you heard of the 'Life begins at forty'?"

"No, I haven't," she comes back with a slap on my thigh as well. "And I thought you were gentle with women and children, hm?" she puts this forth, making me grin and feel attacked. "Yeah...I am, I'm gentle with animals too."

"That slap wasn't gentle," she raises her eyebrows but starts an argument just to make us playfully fight. "That slap was very gentle, that was nothing compared to what I can give if I want to."

We both stare into each other's eyes as I know that both our brains took this sentence the dirty way. I smile but try to cover up this inappropriate behavior. "I'm sorry for being too rough, all right? Excuse the muscular man who forgets how strong he is."

"I'm pretty sure my skin is all red underneath now..." she tries to hide a grin and crosses her arms, but I shake my head. "Oh, come on. You're exaggerating again."

"I'm not. It still stings...and it's all hot," she touches the spot I hit in a delicate manner, but I grumble and pass my hand under hers to rub the spot over her jeans without making it too sexual. "Here, my magic hand still works."

"It feels better, thank you," she shows some obvious satisfaction, but I stop the movement of my hand and keep it where it is while staring at her. "You don't even deserve it after all the mean words you said to me."

"I never said anything mean," she denies it and chuckles at her own lies. "And take this scary and away from me," she grabs my wrist with her hand that feels tiny and brings mine to her lap to touch my hot skin and have a closer look at it. "Isn't this a new tattoo?" she pokes it. "There wasn't this rose before."

"You still remember all my tattoos?" I let my surprise show but withhold my softness. "Almost..." she speaks in an undertone. She's so adorable. I smile but gaze down at our hands. Mine that now look tougher and bigger, while hers hasn't changed, it's still small and asking for mine to hold it. "I had some new tattoos, this one you saw, two on my forearms so that almost my entire left arm is covered with the ink, then one on my chest."

"Oh...They must be all amazing and intimidating on you," she turns my hand upside down but keeps on caressing my skin with the tip of her fingers while tracing my veins and tattoos, doing what she used to do all the time when we were cuddling. "Your hand is still as small as you," I mock her without meaning to be mean, and she gasps, before hitting my shoulder. "My hand is normal, everything about you is just big, that's why it feels like I'm small," she looks down at our hands, but I act like I didn't think wrong. "Look," she lays her palm over mine to compare our size, but I cackle without wiling to at how cute her little hand feels against mine.