Chapter 16: The Mountains, Part IV

Start from the beginning

Morro snickered.

"Wait what?" I asked.

Lloyd stared into my eyes as his widened. Just as I wondered if he was doing a staring contest, he blinked and averted his attention back to his cousin.

"Does that count?"

Morro shrugged. "Probably."

"Does what count?"

"Ooo-kay," Lloyd said, beginning to chew his bottom lip, "Could you guys just, uh, display your powers for a quick sec?"

"This does not make sense," Zane said, but did as he was told, albeit confused.

"Ok did anyone kiss anyone?"

"Um... what kind of question is that?" Nya asked skeptically, "Since when did you... you know what never mind."

"Ok then, guess everything's alright."

"Where's my sister?" I asked, ignoring the weirdness of the situation.

"We haven't, um, found her yet," Lloyd said.

"She'll show up," Morro shrugged.

I groaned and clapped my hand to my forehead.

...

The flames of the campfire danced in the twilight, giving everyone's faces a faint orange glow. Jay began trying to figure out just how close to the fire he could hold a slice of bread without burning it to a crisp, which I figured he did in order to entertain Nya to keep her distracted from the thoughts associated with fire. She still seemed a little sad, but for the most part she was laughing at every joke that came out of his mouth, even the unfunny ones. I, on the other hand, was being pathetic and sulky.

"Are you alright?" Lloyd asked me.

I really didn't feel like talking to him, so I didn't answer. Even though I was relieved that he was back, I didn't want to deal with anyone until we found my sister. My stomach twisted into a knot, likely due to guilt and annoyance at myself for always taking Lloyd for granted. But I had more pressing matters at hand.

His face, expectant at first, faltered, and he turned away after I didn't reply for over ten seconds. Though I knew I was being a jerk and he didn't deserve this kind of treatment, the stubborn side of me still refused to talk.

I quietly got up and left as Jay was exclaiming "Eureka!" and sat down with my arms around my knees, far away from the fire. My hands clenched into fists, the dirty fingernails digging into my palms. Wisps of my stringy, greasy hair hung over my face in a way that defied gravity, so filthy that they barely reflected the firelight. I reached up into the back of my skull and scratched, feeling immense satisfaction at the temporary disappearance of the itch.

"Harumi?" A soft voice rang beside my ear. Though I wasn't able to tell whose voice it was by the sound, I knew it was Morro. He was the only person who called me "Harumi".

I still ignored him, as I didn't want to talk to anyone. And he was a "one".

"So, uh, I didn't find her. I mean I tried to, but then I came across the cave and Lloyd was there, so I figured I'd bring him back first, and uh, that drove away the little motivation I had for finding Ruby. So yeah."

I didn't reply and scoffed a little.

"I'll go and find her."

This caught my attention, and I looked up.

"It's dark, so we have to find her as soon as possible."

"I'll do it myself, since nobody else wants to. You don't have to force yourself," I muttered, somehow sounding rude at the same time.