Chapter 20. The end of the end

"We were having another great day together in the apartment. In the end, our journey has simply been amazing. I started on my own wondering why all the streets and places were deserted. Then saved and met Courtney who introduced me to the Survivors. These young people, different from each other, were living in an old hangar located in a remote and abandoned working site. I teamed up with them against our common enemy and there we were, almost a month later having fought, ran, laughed, stolen, driven and so much more. I really liked them all and thinking that this could be the last time I would see them like this was making me rather sad. We shared so much together. I knew for sure I would keep tons of memories of all the things we have been through. It was a certainty.

The clock was now ringing noon and Matthew had been in the kitchen for two solid hours, receiving all the help Sarah, Courtney and I could give him. Cooking was a real job. He was all sweaty and red. Britney had gave up on the game living Peter and Liz who had been trying to prove to each other who was the best since we got back. So she gave a hand to Rob into setting up another sumptuous dining table. "Once again, Matthew, it is an honor for me to inform you that your cooking skills are truly remarkable!" told him Rob. "Aw you're flattering me too much Rob" he replied a bit embarrassed. "No he's right, I've never ever eaten better food in my life!" retorted Peter.

As decided yesterday, this day would be our day off. We wanted to take good time for ourselves. After all, we deserved it. We spent several hours around the table enjoying every little bites of this exquisite banquet. So much that we did not have the time to do anything else before dawn rose. We emptied all the trays, plates, bottles and glasses. Not a single tiny piece of food was left on the table, absolutely nothing. Fortunately, it took us less time to tidy everything up than it did to be eaten. Even less that we employed all our sixteen hands to the maneuver. That finished to tired us, but we stayed up a little longer to enjoy the evening and its relaxing calm. We went bed around midnight not thinking about anything else than the day we just had. Even the danger that could be awaiting did not worry us. Our stomachs and minds were full.

The next morning, after an excellent night of sleep, my back had heal and I was feeling better than ever. Once again, Courtney and Britney were already up but they were not having a coffee. No. They were packing. "Good morning girls. What are you up to? What are you packing?" I asked them. "Well, today is the day of the final confrontation! So we're packing what could be useful" replied Britney. "We found slices of ham and pieces of bread, so we made a few sandwiches in case someone needs to eat a bit. After all, we don't really know what we're in for nor how much time it will take. We must be prepared for everything!" added Courtney. A few moments later, the others arrived. Them too were ready for what was lying ahead. Once the suits coated, we charged up all the rifles on medium fire power so they would be easier to use than at max, while still dealing considerable damage. This time in the street, all the robotic dogs around Bricksburg could very well show up, we were ready to greet them.

The town hall was straight forward and even if destroying the place was not in our intentions, we were willing to use our weapons if charged by the enemy. Even if it was by a single one and not the whole army. But that was only if we were to be spotted through our disguises. Suited as we were, there was no apparent reason for being ambushed once again. But after what happened two days ago, we could not be too confident. And as we expected, we did not last long undercover. Exterminators were after us. Inside, the path to take was already traced. The room behind the two big wooden doors was our goal. Nothing could, and would, resist the strong will we were sharing. In fact, it was so strong that we could feel it surrounding us like a shield. It was funny to blast all the exterminators who were trying to stop us. They were like flies being carried around with a lapel of the end. There were the doors.

We stopped in front of them thinking of our entrance. "So what know? Do we barge in blasting off the doors which would be fun and totally epic, or do we enter normally which would be really boring?" asked us Liz. The answer was obvious. We took a few steps backwards, aimed and shot. The thick smoke created by the blasts allowed us the enter the room with the element of surprise and our side.