Chapter 14. Back to the flat

"Rob just saved all our lives from that bunch of exterminators who were about to jump down on our heads. Things already went bad for us with the loss of the van, but they could have gone worse if they succeeded in their assault. Fortunately and thanks to Rob, they did not, and we were now safe and sound. "Rob that was amazing!" told him Liz. "But how did you spot them?" Sarah asked him. "Well after that bang, as you saw, I went forward to take a look. And looking at the ground, I noticed their shadows on top of the van's without having to fully turn around. Judging from what we just heard, I knew it was them. Also I apologize if my quick thinking disturbed you." "Nah Rob don't sweat it it's totally fine. I'm willing to do these kind of actions as often as needed; it was epic!" Britney said thrilled. "What matters is that we are all safe and out of trouble for now". Courtney said. "And I've been staring at the town hall for a solid ten minutes now and nothing is happening" I added. "Good, then we should head back to the flat before another wave comes up." "But what about the camera? Don't we still have to find it for whatever reasons?" wondered Peter. "Ah yes the camera!" remembered Courtney, looking at Rob she asked, "Do you still need it or?". He answered, "No it is fine we can go". On that, we were off. We had several minutes of walk ahead of us to be back at the apartment. Courtney and I opened the march, and everyone followed. We all wanted to joke a little on the way back as a celebration both our triumph and survival, but the danger was still awaiting. Indeed the exterminators were coming from the town hall, all of them, that we knew. But as for the dogs, they could come from anywhere. And in a city as big as Bricksburg, anywhere was everywhere. Unless we were between four walls, we were in danger and a deadly one. Those dogs, if numerous, could surpass us. And we were just a group of young adults, not professional troops, on top of being tired from the previous event. So we walked, quickly but quietly to arrive as soon as possible.

A little while later, we were back in our cozy hideout. Nothing more happened. We could rest a little more from now. Soon, the sun went down, and the evening came up. Matthew wanted to make us a surprise, he told us to go in the living room while he would prepare something. Looking in the closets, we found several party games like cards, a dart board and a gaming system. It took us a little while to decide what we wanted to do. Liz, Peter and Britney wanted to challenge each other in a race on the game whereas Sarah and Rob were more willing to play cards. On the other hand, Courtney and I wished to throw some darts on the board from the other side of the room and see who would do best. Eventually, we all went for what we voted for, and everyone was having a great time.

Around an hour later, Matthew called us from the kitchen, so we left our activities to join him in the dining room. We were all staggered by what was laying in front of us. The table was all dressed up like we would celebrate something. There was a very nice and white tablecloth, the plates were shining and the cutlery even more. Matthew saw the looks on our faces, he was proud of what he had made. "I know we're not home or in our old hangar but with the day we had, I took the liberty to set the table up with what I've found. So if you could all have a seat now". On his words, we sat around the beautiful table without knowing what was to come. He told us to wait a little longer so he could come back with the rest. While he was in the kitchen, we started to wonder what all of this was for, "Do you think he has an announcement to make?" Britney asked. "What if it's something bad?" wondered Liz. "Guys guys! Stop this and smell!" Peter said. He was right. Something good was coming from the kitchen and it was getting closer. Matthew came back with a large tray in his hands, in it there was a nice and crispy roast and a dish of baked potatoes with melted cheese on top. He asked me if I could go get the drinks in the kitchen, so I got up and when to help him. Once back, we all started to eat. "Matthew, this is scrumptious!" said Sarah happily. "Oh really?! Thanks it's just a recipe I made on the spot with what was around. I'm glad you like it." It was really good. We already had a great evening playing the games but with that on top, it was the best night I ever had since I met them."