Chapter 3. The discovery

"Ah that's rubbish! I'm pressing the trigger as hard as I can, but nothing happens! Rob a little help please!" Peter begged. "It appears to be locked or something" Rob said. "We don't have time for this! Unlock it already! Hurry!", "I can't this isn't human technology." "So, you know what it is, but not how to turn it on, way to go!". "Guys, come on not now!" Britney said, "Here give it to me I have an idea". She took the plasma rifle from Peter's hands and grabbed a hand of an exterminator we killed earlier. "If our hands are not working, maybe theirs will!". And surprisingly, it did! The rifle activated itself. "Alright then. Now shoot!" Peter shouted. There, it was my turn to be useful, "No wait let me hold you to absorb the knockback." "Thanks Jack" "Okay, ready? Fire!". The rifle focused its fire power in a blue light but the shot came out as a white laser. "It's lasting a little! Move around! Everyone take cover! Courtney ordered. With our efforts combined, we moved the rifle around to see that the laser was slicing everything on its path. "There, aim for the big one! He's the last to stand and has nowhere to go!" Matthew said. Britney and I were now stable enough to use to rifle with more ease. So, we pointed the weapon towards him and within three seconds we could see the steel doors through him. The laser literally just made a hole through his armor and body. The only noise we heard was his heavy corpse falling loudly on the floor face forward. "That thing is totally insane!" Liz and Courtney rejoiced. Rob went to take a look at the damages caused to the walls "This is impressive, the laser was so hot it melted the wall. We definitely need to bring back one with us so I could understand its structure!" "Here, why don't you give it a try? I asked him. "What why me?! "Well, if you want to understand it, it would be better to use it at least once, so you know what it's capable of, don't you think?" "I guess you are right". "Rob, look I'll give you an easy target, think you'll be good enough? You just have to aim for the forearm, so we don't have to drag the whole body everywhere" Peter told him. I was happy to see that for once, these two were working together. "Rob wait, you've seen what the full power did to the wall, we should try to reduce it before" Sarah said. "That would be good indeed". The both of them managed to set it correctly and Rob perfectly sliced the hand and a part of the forearm's exterminator without damaging the structure even more. "Let's grab a few other batteries in case and we're out of here" Courtney said. Matthew, who was scared of his shadow when we met, was now a new person, "Hey guys, WE MADE IT!" he said."