Chapter 5. The ascent

"As Liz told us, the snake was about to go all the way up the hill we were on previously. If we wanted to stop it, we had to get out now or it would be too late. So, I said, "Guys it's now or never while the ground is still flat!". "He's right! Let's move team!" Courtney ordered. Rob went first followed by Peter, then Matthew, Liz, Britney and Sarah. Their order reminded me of the first day when Courtney introduced me to them. Who knew I would have gone so far with people I didn't even know two weeks ago?". "Alright Jack it's your turn now! Jump out quickly!" Courtney told me. "No, I won't leave you behind in this mess! Go first!". "Alright then". And off she was sliding down the hill. I was the last one on board and the ascent had already began. "Jack? Jack? Are you still in there? Rob is setting up the rifles at maximum power, you have to get out now! Jack do you hear me?!". That voice came from the talkie-walkie in my pocket. So much happened since we got those that I forgot I actually had one on me. "Yes, yes I'm here, I hear you" I replied. On the moment, I was happy that Courtney was talking to me. I didn't know what was happening, but the situation had me frozen from head to toe. I wanted to move but my legs refused to. So, I answered, "I can't. I don't know why but I can't move". There, Courtney was not talking to me, but I could still hear her through shouting at the others. "He's stuck in there I'm going back! ". "Let me come with you" Matthew proposed. "Let's go then. Rob take this and do not shoot without my word!" she told him. "Jack? It's Rob. If you can hear me, Courtney and Matthew are coming back to retrieve you, do not move". But unlike me, the snake had not stop its progression on the hill and the terrain was now very steep. Though I knew Courtney had the will and that Matthew became brave enough not to give up. And only five minutes later, both of them succeeded to climb back to me. They hopped in and asked me if I was okay. But before I could answer, they had already brought me out. We were now falling down rather than sliding. "Rob, we're coming back now. Don't shoot yet!" Courtney said on the talkie-walkie."