Chapter 11. Taking the risk

"Our moment of rest and peace therefore ended. We had to resume our adventure. This time though, I knew where we needed to go and for once, we were all on time and ready to leave the hotel. "Don't worry apartment we will come back. In the meantime, keep an eye on our stuff okay?" Peter said, apparently to the flat on the way out. "Yes and when we will be back little Peter will go back to sleep right away" Britney said looking at the sky. Liz and I had a giggle hearing this. "Rob my dear, any news from the camera?" Sarah asked him. He took a look at the screen and answered "Unfortunately, no. It is still facing a bush or something like that. I cannot see anything". I tried to reassure them, "No worries, the van is right there behind that corner". And it still was. I was kind of scared something would have happen to it during the night. When life wanted to, it could bring us lots of bad luck. We all liked this van pretty much. It was brilliant. Inside, there was quite a lot of space, the seats must have been made by angels as they were extremely comfortable. And thanks to Rob's little hack, it was now even faster on the road. "Hey Jack, what do you say if I take the wheel to the town hall?" Courtney asked me. "Yeah your last drive was excellent! Plus we're not going far so you don't have anything to worry about." "Sweet, thanks!". On that decision she took place behind the wheel and I took place next to her. From where she was, she really stood as our leader giving us the directions and now driving us to places.

We were about to take the short road to the town hall when Matthew suggested something, "How about taking a little detour to have a look around? Perhaps we could find what has moved Rob's camera." "I highly agree!" shouted Rob. "Okay I guess. We need to find out not matter the way we take. Jack you might want to take it back then?" she asked me. "No no it's fine keep going I'll guide you" I replied. "Here take a right". In fact, Matthew's detour was just going around the town hall and not stopping in front of it immediately. The place was desert but the front doors still open. Today's matter was not about going back in though. We just wanted to have a look even if the risk of an ambush was real. Once there, we followed Rob to the place he left the camera the day before and like he said, it was not here.

We spread in groups and started looking for it. My idea of taking more talkie-walkies had been a good one. We could communicate with each other without drawing any attention. The groups were Matthew, Liz and Britney as a trio, Rob and Sarah, our two love birds and Peter would be with Courtney and I so we could calm him down if needed. We searched as quietly as possible for about forty-five minutes, but we could not find it anywhere, so we decided to gather around to think about something else to do. "Rob I'm sorry, it's not here, it must have been taken away" I said looking at him crestfallen. We were heading to the van empty handed when Liz heard something. "Quick hide! Someone's coming!" We all jumped behind the bushes hoping nobody would have spotted us."