Chapter 12. Urban face off

"Our investigation to find Rob's camera had changed for a game of hide and seek. But this time we could not afford to be seen if we wanted to stay alive. "Liz what is it, what did you hear?" asked Sarah whispering and really concerned. "I swear I heard something or someone. It was coming our way, and nobody is here except us and the exterminators, so it had to be them" she answered whispering as well. "I don't really like the sound of that" said Britney worried. "We have to see where it is" I said. "Careful Jack it could be right behind this bush" warned me Courtney. "Don't worry, everything will be alright". I discretely took a look on the side to see our surroundings. "All clear we can go back to the van" I said. We left our hiding spot one after the others but Liz, who left last, stumbled just a few meters from the van. The sound of her fall alerted the exterminator which turned around towards her immediately. Peter shouted at her to warn her that it was coming, which made the exterminator notice us as well. "Way to go Peter! Now we've all been spotted! That's just great!" said Rob angrier than this morning. Suddenly the exterminator started to make some weird noises like would an old and broken radio. We could not understand what they meant but we ended up having an idea as Matthew taped me on the shoulder while pointing at the town hall. Courtney looked as well and yelled "Incoming!". Britney rushed toward Liz to help her up while Peter was covering them from the first exterminator that was now coming at them.

On our side, twenty of them came out of the town hall and were marching in our direction. The last confrontation was against ten of them. Now, it was the double. The only advantages we had were the wide streets, compared to the control room of the snake, and the two plasma rifles. "Quick we have to use the rifles while they're all lined up!" Rob exclaimed. But this time, and for the first time, they were armed and the ones in the two first rows began shooting at us. "Take cover!" I shouted. Courtney opened the boot doors so we could stand behind them and stay a little bit protected. Plus we could get prepared as all our equipment was in the van. We tried to gain as much time as we could to wait for the rifles to be ready, but the targets were still quite far away, and we were not professional shooters. We could have asked Peter, but he was already busy on the other side. In fact, he went at it bare hands, so it took him a lot of time and effort to take him down as he was protected, certainly lightly, but still protected. "Ok they're good to go!" Rob said handing me a rifle. Good thing for me, they were still perfectly lined up which made my task a lot easier. Unless that is what I thought the time I get in position to shoot. Just before I press the trigger, most of them suddenly disappeared. "What?! Where'd they go?!" shouted Matthew flabbergasted. "Look over there!" Courtney said. Peter just got done with his little fight, he still had to join us behind the van. But before he could make a step forward, another exterminator appeared right before his nose scaring him. "Oh my gosh!" he shouted from surprise. Seeing this, Rob knew what happened, "They can teleport themselves guys, stay alert they could be anywhere near us!" he said. Fortunately, Peter was close enough from us so we could shoot dead the exterminator with precise aim. Sarah took a gun, closed an eye and pressed the trigger twice. The only thing we heard was the exterminator dropping dead on the road. Both shots were spot on and Peter was fine. Surprised but fine. He ran to us completely bewildered. "I can't believe that! It was epic! Thanks Sarah!". Looking at Rob, I could see the pride in his eyes from Sarah's action.

"I don't mean to interrupt anything but we're a bit under attack here you'll be friendly to each other later!" Courtney say. And she was right. A few of the enemies may have disappeared but the ones that did not were still marching towards us and they even started shooting. Though they were not targeting us but the van. The two right side tires popped making an escape impossible. "Oh great now what do we do?" Matthew said. "I don't know Matthew. But this is bad" Courtney answered him."