Chapter57- Unlikely Coincidence

Start from the beginning

Jaan: sure. maybe you would even like to sleep over!
(They both just giggle sarcastically as Rohit just rolls his eyes and walks in, fixing his hair)
Rohit: (mumbling under his breath) no thank you.

Rohit: (to Avu, who's standing there with the phone) hi! You have my phone.
Avu: yeah. It fell out of the sky. (Giving the phone to Rohit)
Rohit: no... actually it fell out of my hands. My balcony is actually parallel to yours, four floors up.
Thanks for catching it, it's the third phone this month.
Avu: oh... well you're welcome. By the way... you went to Mumbai College?
Rohit: (looking at the pic) yeah. Dubai may be my house, but Mumbai is my home.
(Letting out a genuine smile)

(Jaan bringing three cups of hot Chocolate with some choco-chip cookies as Rohit munches his way down one)
Rohit: it's been a while since I've eaten these. I actually don't know how to cook these.
Jaan: what do you know how to cook?
Rohit: (squinting his eyes at Jaan) I'm a master-chef when it comes to anything else!

—I take a sip from the cup, the warm liquid flowing through down my throat.

Why! Why does he remind me so fondly of Siddharth?!
I can no longer bear to stare at him so I get up and walk myself out the the veranda, checking on a tiny sleeping Sana before I walk straight out to get some fresh air.
The rain now pouring down heavily.—

Rohit POV
—I watch as Avu gets up and walks out I the veranda.
It's the same girl I knew three years ago. But there's some part of that fake smile she hits, that's different.
Some part of the way she frowns that's just not the same...
Some part of her heart, deep inside, that's just not alive.—

Jaan: (sipping on her cocoa) She's the same Avu. Just more lonely.

—I sigh as I watch Avu set her cup on the small table and stretch her hands to the down-pouring rain.
The tips of her hands getting wet.

I look back at Jannat who just shoots me millions to expecting looks and I just roll my eyes.
Ugh! This girl will never let me rest!—

Rohit: you want me to go talk t her don't you!
Jaan: yup.
(Shooting Jaan a annoyed glare as Rohit gets up and walks towards Avu, setting his cup down next to her and stretching his hands out to the rain)

Rohit: I usually hate the rain. But there's just something about today... that doesn't make it seem so bad. 
Avu: And what's that?
Rohit: I dunno, perhaps the weather, the temperature, the season... (more softly) Or you.
Avu: (letting out a scoff then a 1/4th hopeless smile) I've always liked the rain. It reminds me of the best moments I've ever had in my life.
Moments when I've felt free. Happy. Unbothered.
(Her hands going down to the gold necklace that dangles off her neck)

Rohit: I've noticed the necklace quite a few times now...
Avu: yeah. I never take it off. It's of great emotional importance to me.
(Rohit gently taking the necklace from her hands as he stares at it, still around Avu's neck)

—She's still wearing it.
And it's the same one that I'd given her three years ago.
I turn it over and trace my fingers over the gold carving of my very own name.—
Avu: it's the most thoughtful things that anyone's ever given me.
Rohit: Siddharth
Avu: yeah... that's his name. The guy who gave me the necklace.
It's been three years since we met.
(Avu walking closer to the rain as she lets it wet her hair)

Avu: since he left for good. He took his life one night.
—I watch as the rain hits her, drenching her. The hollow pit in her heart coming out with every word.
Every word she says about my death, just coming out lonely and sad.
I wanna look into her eyes and tell her that I'm not dead.
That I'm fricking standing right here!
I wanna embrace her and tell her I'm sorry.
That it's all my fault.
That, perhaps I may have made one of the worst decisions of my life.
Once.—

Avu: And perhaps hate myself for being such a coward back then.
Rohit: and why's that?
Avu: (now fully drenched and cold) I never gathered enough guts to tell him that I love him.

—Avu... did she just, say that she loves me?
I watch as a single teardrop rolls down her eyes and she immediately wipes it away.

I've heard it several times before. From Faisu, and Ashi.
But to hear it from Avu just makes me feel as if I'm hearing it for the first time.

I suddenly regret ever leaving Mumbai, three years ago. I regret ever faking my death.
I regret being smart enough to escape from jail and jump off the second floor of that building.
I regret ever leaving Avu.

The words keep echoing in my head. And the more I stare at her, the more I wish I had never left.

And all of a sudden, none of it makes any sense to me.
I no longer see the clear logic behind why I ran away. All I see is,
Why did I ever leave Avu?

A odd kind of guild starts to surface as I just watch Avu drench in the heavy rain.
I shake my head a few times, trying to get the fuzzy thoughts out of my head.
The words still ringing in every corner of my brain.
"I love him"

I feel sudden tiredness dawn upon me, along with another unfamiliar feeling that I just couldn't explain.
A cold breeze hits me and Avu starts to shiver.
I run inside and grab a blanket as I run back out and slowly put the towel on Avu, which easily covers her.
I walk her away from the rain and into the room. Picking the two cups from the table and setting it on the table inside, as I close the sliding glass window which leads us tot he veranda.

I don't know which part of my face shows the distress cuz Avu just shoots me a confused look.
I completely ignore it, not wanting to hear another word from her. —

Rohit: (shooting her a hard smile) get some sleep.

—Then I just walk out of their room, leaving a blanketed up and confused Avu standing there.
My head now dizzy and guild making me want to curl up into a ball and die.
How can three words from Avneet have this effect on me?!
I walk straight to the elevator and up to the seventh floor, where I walk into the next door and into my bedroom.
I take a glass of water, filling it with water and trying to gild it down, but not being able to finish more than half the glass, the pain in my head being too much.

I set the glass down on my bedside table as I sit down on my bed, my hands supporting my head as unexplainable and uncontrollable tears roll down my eyes.
One following the other, soon leading to me sobbing my eyes out and completely breaking down.

I frailly hear the beep from the elevator, meaning that someone's here, and before I know it, Ashi's standing at my door, sighing at my miserable condition. —

Ashi: (in a soft tone) Are you alright?
Rohit: No! I'm not alright!

—Ashi walking up to me and half hugging me as she sits down on the bed  as I sob into her shoulders.—
Ashi: was it Faisu?
Rohit: no. It was Avneet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vomment!

I somewhat like that ending :)

I feel like this is finally getting some plot development!

Until I write again,

<—Sidneetography—>