twenty four 📘

A/N : PLEASE READ THE
NOTE AT THE END

FRIDAY

nobody's pov

Ramona stared at her watch. Chewing her bottom lip, she stuffed the printed papers into her Chanel bag. Zachary would be around anytime soon, and she wanted this whole occurrence to go smoothly. She took off her glasses and placed them in her case. Her hands were shaking so she couldn't get her contact glasses on today. She was so nervous, the floor seemed to be moving and it was hard for her to breathe.

Ever since she was a little girl, she could get really anxious, but she was learning how to stop it.

She heard the door of the suite open and shut. Taking a deep breath, she pulled out her phone and moved to the couch.

Zachary made his way into the living room. She pretended to be focused on her phone and didn't even acknowledge his presence. She wasn't ready to cause any friction between them. She didn't want to please him, just avoid him and convince him that she was assuming her position.

He pulled off his jacket and hung it on the coat rack. From the corner of her eye, she could see him sizing her up.

Normally, the simple action would make butterflies rise in her belly. And it did. But now a bittersweet feeling of love and resentment frolicked deep in her stomach, this man didn't love her, she was pretty to look at. She was here to provide aesthetic and power.

She ignored the need to scream. The silence was deafening.

He cleared his throat.

She looked up at him, their eyes locked for a minute.

"I'm back." Zachary said, expecting an over the top greeting, a hug, an apology. The usual.

"Welcome back." She arched a brow.

He tilted his head in confusion, expecting her to complain, to say something.

"Is something wrong?" She asked.

"No."

"Ok." She replied.

"..."

"..."

"Why are you acting like this?" He inquired.

"You don't seem to be very fond of me this week. So I'm keeping to myself. That phone call was all the communication I needed from you." She gave him a tight lipped smile.

The old Ramona, the one who he had killed when he shouted at her over the phone, the one who let him treat her like shit, the one who watched him disrespect everyday, would've expected an apology. A change. A magical moment, a miracle where Zachary would apologize. Now she scoffed at that Ramona, the pathetic Ramona that cried because of him, prayed for him, made excuses for him, sacrificed her pride, her dignity, her self worth, everything to be with him.

Of course she cared, how could she not care, but this relationship was no longer like two frenemies sleeping in the same bed, but a middle aged couple who resented and hated each other.

She had decided to play by his own rules. The way he had emotionally detached himself from her and almost everyone else, she had done the same to him.

He gave her a long look, an unreadable expression on his face. He stalked into the bedroom, leaving Ramona on the couch, taking deep breaths, trying to keep her anger at bay, when she smelt another woman's perfume mixed with his scent.

She stared up at the ceiling, taking in the intricate details of the chandelier hanging up high. This was a pretty a good hotel for Missouri. Zach had nearly been here a month, comfortable and flourishing with business in this area.