T H I R T Y - E I G H T

Start from the beginning

He couldn't finish the sentence as the guard had already grabbed his weapon, and a bullet shot through his forehead.

Without any words, the two other men kept their eyes on Beast, attempting to ignore the corpse of their friend and colleague in between them. Neither of them had enough guts to talk while the guard walked back to the door and stood there emotionless.

"As I was saying," Beast continued as if nothing had happened. "The family the girl is with now can't care for a child that's not even their own. And even if she is chronically ill or anything similar, we'll sell her to someone in Europe and that'll give us enough time and money to run from them if something should happen."

The two men nodded their heads in unison, agreeing with everything their boss said. They didn't speak up though, and so Beast sighed and motioned at the corpse between them as he stood from the couch. "Clean this one away and get Lodge to work on this with us."

Before walking away, the short man cleared his throat and spat on the bleeding man before walking away and out the door.

With jittery breathing, the two started working, and soon enough, they were joined by their newest colleague. Neither of them could stop themselves from staring at her ass in the short dress.

Betty walked down the stairs with a smile on her face, and after passing Archie and Veronica in the living room without a word, made her way to the kitchen. She stopped on the doorway, watching Fred move around and work for a minute before approaching him.

"Hi."

He looked back and smiled at her before focusing back on cutting up the onions. "Hey, kiddo."

"What are you cooking?" she asked, leaning her palms onto the counter and watching the macaroni boiling in the pot and some ground beef on the pan.

"Pasta."

"Ooh, seems nice," she said with a smile and after a second looked back at him. "Need some help?"

"It's okay," Fred said.

"Seriously, I'm bored."

The man raised his eyebrows and gazed at her. "Why aren't you with Veronica and Archie?"

After a slight pause, Betty shrugged. "They make out a lot." And while that wasn't wrong, she could tell from the look he gave her that she was lying.

Fred sighed and shook his head a bit, knowing that Betty wasn't on the best terms with neither his son nor his girlfriend at the moment. The redhead had warmed her up a bit again, but they still hadn't had the talk about their differences, so the man wasn't sure when the two would actually make up.

"You can make the garlic bread mix."

"Okay."

She made herself useful and started working on that while Fred mixed the other things together and poured the water from the boiled macaroni into the sink. "He likes pasta, right?" he suddenly asked, and Betty chuckled while looking at him.

"Jughead?"

"Mhm."

"He loves everything that is eatable until there aren't many vegetables, which is weird, actually, cause he orders pizza with every single topping possible, besides fish, and usually that includes onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, olives, and everything like that, so that goes totally against everything he stands for."

Fred laughed at that. "He has an appetite, huh?"

"I swear he'll eat as much as we have today," Betty nodded.