T H I R T Y - T H R E E

Betty and Jughead spent the next few weeks sneaking into his projection booth at the Drive-In during every free moment, she lying to her parents about studying with Kevin while she actually spent time with Jughead as much as possible.

Not that they got lots of studying done.

The sleepless nights of doing her homework on her bed, writing articles for the Blue and Gold, and practicing cheerleading moves in front of the mirror left the girl exhausted for most days, though. Jughead had tried convincing her that they'd be fine for a few separate days so that she could catch up with her sleep, but Betty refused to hear anything about it, and usually succeeded in leaving the conversation there by distracting him.

A week later, Jughead found that if he promised her more quality time with him during the weekend, she would agree to go home after school, a few times even falling asleep on his lap in the Blue and Gold when the classes were over.

Then, after a few days, he realized that even as his girl was getting more sleep, she still looked just as tired while walking or even standing up. He kept his eyes on her during lunch, sitting in the nearest table possible with the Serpents, and soon enough found out the issue.

Betty wasn't eating.

Usually, her anorexia (yes, he had googled the symptoms) meant her skipping breakfast or dinner, or even both, while she always at least ate half of her salad during lunch.

This time was different. She didn't even bother to buy anything from the cafeteria to keep fooling others, and usually just grabbed an apple which she'd take one bite out of before throwing it away.

Jughead heard Veronica and Kevin talking about it quite often, asking her concerned questions about if she were okay, and everything along the same lines, but every time they did, Betty would just snap at them and walk away.

The boy brushed it off a few times, until a Wednesday when she was forced to sit with other cheerleaders to talk about their routines and establish new choreographies if needed. That's when he understood something was seriously wrong with her, more than usual.

Cheryl pulled Betty to the side, which just happened to be right next to the Serpents' table, Jughead sharing a quick glance with both of the girls. He saw Joaquin tense as well once they stopped.

"Betty, I'm worried about you," the redhead stated, making the blonde roll her eyes and huff while crossing her arms in a sassy manner.

"Whatever for, Cheryl?" she asked with a fake smile.

The girl narrowed her eyes a bit, placing her hands on her hips. "You're not eating," she bluntly said.

Betty shifted on the spot, rolling her eyes, stopping for a moment on Jughead. She kept quiet as Cheryl kept going on and on about her health and how cheerleading and disorders didn't go together. Until the blonde's face fell straight, bluntly glaring at her "cousin".

Jughead understood what Cheryl was doing. She was trying to direct him to notice Betty's eating disorder, not knowing he was already aware of it. That's why she had chosen to stand by the snakes of all places.

"I'm fine," Betty kept repeating at every question, not even answering them, until the redhead snapped.

"You're not fine!" she yelled into her face, the whole cafeteria silencing down as a response, all eyes on them.

"Yes, I am. Just fucking leave it!" There was a collective gasp when everyone heard Elizabeth Cooper swearing. "I know what you're doing right now, so stop! He knows!"

And with that, Betty ran out of the cafeteria, fuming mad.

Jughead gaped after her until she was gone which was when he turned his attention to Cheryl who was glaring him down, wordless. The redhead stared directly into his eyes for a moment before running out of the cafeteria just as Betty had.