Chapter 37 |✔

After a rather non-recovering sleep of 3 hours max and a seminar, we were about to fly back to Virginia when Detective Kim got a call saying there were two homicides and asked if we could check it out.
Of course we wouldn't mind, we we're always eager to help, so we drove to the young celebrity's home, hoping to help the local PD.

As I walked into the door, after me Spencer and Gideon, the first thing I noticed was that it wasn't a typical crime scene; There were two MO's.

"No sign of forced entry." Spencer stated, his analytical voice giving me goosebumps, before he handed me a pair of gloves, in case I would want to touch anything.

I looked at him and returned his beautiful smile. The only thing I wanted to touch right now was him.
"Same weapon."

"The girl was shot execution style. Once in the head."

I nodded along Spencer as I looked at the two victims, the blonde woman sitting on the couch and the man lying on the floor.
"The male three times in the torso. Not exactly an overkill but it was with more rage and unorganised."

Gideon nodded. "So there's two different MO's."

Detective Kim came back from a call he had to take, looking at the three of us.
"We have an image on the video surveillance camera. Looks like a messenger of some kind wearing a motorcycle helmet. He's unidentifiable."

I nodded along, looking at the street outside.
"It's most likely that the Unsub drives a motorcycle of his own and he probably knew that there was a video surveillance camera. If not, he didn't want the victim to look at him."

"There's no sign of struggle between the girl and the UnSub from the door to the couch. He most likely forced her at gunpoint." Spencer added while Gideon looked around, doing his digging and thinking thing.

"He told her to trust him. 'Do what I say. I won't hurt you.'"

"Fatal mistake."

Spencer and I both agreed simultaneously to Detective Kim's statement, humming a 'mhh-hmm' before the young doctor continued to examine the woman.
"He asked her to sit on the couch and then shot her in the head."

"The fiance probably came home unexpected so the UnSub had to hide and then shoot him. He was just a collateral damage for the UnSub, the focus was on the woman.
    And still is, she's the first thing you look at when you're entering the scene; The fiancé on the ground comes after."

Gideon nodded, agreeing with my speculation, before turning to Kim.
"What do you think?"

"I've had a couple other cases recently, past few months. Same type of weapon, 22-calliber handgun, both shot in the head. The first was an established film producer, Wally Melman, and the second was Chloe Harris, another young actress. Though not as well-known as Natalie here."

"Well-known or not, I see a pattern." I mumbled, as Spencer nodded, going further into the house.

"Any forensic evidence?"

"No, and the guys have been going through this place all morning and haven't come up with anything."

"So he clearly knows how to cover his tracks."

"Like a professional hitman?"

"Maybe."

I followed Spencer's gaze, meeting the cameras of some reporters while his face was scrunched up in confusion. "Gideon, there are people actually taking photographs of us from the next yard."

"Yeah, welcome to LA." Kim stated and I shrugged, knowing what he meant.

"Don't worry, you'll get used to it once your face is on a big screen, widely known as Dr. Spencer Reid, the genius FBI Agent with a fable for dark-skinned Morgan's."

I chuckled as Spencer looked at me rather dirstubed. I wanted to loosen up the tension between the two of us, trying to get back to where we were before the kiss, but after seeing the look on his face I guessed that it would never be the same.

"More likely a fable for ginger-haired fellow young Doctors."

My head shot up and I looked at Gideon, my cheeks heating up like a matchstick getting thrown into a pile of gasoline.
"W-What?"

"Twenty-two's are small but efficient. They bounce around inside a person like a pinball."
The middle-aged Agent carried on as if nothing happened while I wondered if he really meant it or if he knew anything.

For a split second, my eyes met Spencer's and I felt my stomach combust as he smiled slightly, turning his attention back to the other man at the crime scene.
"Preferred weapon of the Mafia. You know, there's no obvious sexual component to these crimes, which is usually the case with serial murders."

"So you are thinking this id a serial killer?"

I shrugged, looking at the two victims in front of me, feeling my heart sank at the sight of them. "It could be, but we don't have enough to call him 'serial', so let's just say that the world has it's cruelty where everything is possible."

The detective smiled slightly at my attempt to lighten up the mood -as always- and put his hands on his hips.
"Would you consider hanging out in LA a little while? Let me lean on your expertise until we do figure out what we've got?"

"Only if you're treating." I winked playfully, not in a flirting manner, and he smiled back, before Gideon nodded as well.

"Yeah, just cancel flights. We'll have the rest of the team out here ASAP."