Chapter 22 |✔

"I saw the man you are looking for, on the news?"

My eyes snapped open as I answered anther call, this time being interested.
"Yeah and where would that be, sir?"

"Ehm, last night on the flight to Las Vegas from Virginia. But he had another name, I think."

I nodded along, grabbing a pencil and a little piece of paper.
"Can you remember it? Everything could help us, every little detail you can remember."

He stopped for mere momments, before continuing, his voice unsure.
"Yeah, well ehm... I think his name was Tate? And everytime someone spoke to him, he didn't look them in the eyes. He was being really shy and nice. If I hadn't seen the weird package in his hands, I wouldn't have noticed him."

"What package, sir?"

"A brown little package with yellow writing on the front. It wasn't really big; it was actually really thin."

I noddd, writing everything down and poking Spencer, who was sitting next to me, in the shoulder, handing him my notes. "Okay thank you so much, Sir. Could you please give me your name so I can call you again if I have further questions?"

"Sure. My name's Wren Landon."

I nodded, scribbling the name onto another piece of paper before thanking him and hanging up the phone, rolling myself on the chair around and exhaling before looking at the team.
"He's back in Las Vegas."

Morgan shook his head in frustration. "How can we not get him if we know he's the UnSub?"

"We think too far. We gotta take this case like any other." Gideoon stated and Hotch nodded.

"What does the victimology say?"

"Garcia hasn't found any connection apart from the hair and the eyes."
Elle answered and sat down on the desk, looking at the wall where we had hung the pictures of Ashton and the victims.

"But there has to be a connection. He can't just walk down the street, sees a girl with brown hair and dark eyes and kill her."

Spencer frowned at Morgan, clearing his throat.  "Copper hair."

Morgan held out his hands and chuckled, shaking his head while I shut my eyes, trying to remember the only conversation I had with Ashton weeks ago, knowing that it could help.

"Maybe that's exactly what he does."
I stated, getting up and looking at the pictures.
"In our interview, he told me that he likes to take a walk around his neighbourhood to take his mind off his family.
Look at the victims.
         They're all wearing normal clothing, not the kind of clothes you would wear if you had the intention on meeting up with someone or going to work."

I stepped aside to the days where they were killed.
"The first victim, Vanessa Simmons, was killed on a Saturday, then Walter Hughs, killed Monday.
I think Ashton sees his victim, researching everything he can about them and hoping that they would take a walk."

As fast as I could, I ran up to the telephone, that stood on the big round table in the police department in Las Vegas, dialing Garcias number.
"Gimme somethin' so I can show you what my hands can do, Baby."

I shook my head, managing a smile as I started talking. "Garcy, its me."

"Yeah, I hoped it would be you."

"Oh well thanks."

"Always, kitty. Now, what do you have for me?"

"Could you please research when the victims had their day off of work?"
I heard some tiping and after a minute or two, she answered immediately, while I looked at the wall, hoping my theory was right.

"Little Ms. Simmons was free of work on Saturdays, Walter on Mondays, Carry Thursdays, Louis Sundays, Allison on Tuesdays when she had Pilatis and the last victim, Scotty had his free day on a Friday."

I nodded, seeing the connection and turning to the others.
"He knew their free days and that's when he kills them."

Morgan furrowed his brows, stroking his chin.
"But how can he be sure that they go for a walk?"

"He can't. I talked to him. He isn't that organized. He's really smart but he's acting out of range. When he sees seomone that fits his liking, he approaches them, asks for help and when they get into their car, he points a gun at them and tells them to drive home."

Spencer furrowed his brows. "But that means that he doesn't rsearchs them."

I exhaled, closing my eyes and plopping down on the chair. "It doesn't add up, I know. I'm just reaching for strings that could lead to anything."

"Then keep reaching."
Gideon said, smiling slightly at me.
"You're onto something. You know him better than any of us so if anyone can solve this case, it's you. Don't give up that quickly."

Spencer nodded, following along.
"We have to think out of the box."

Gideon smiled at him, held up his finger and pointed it shortly at Spencer before getting up. "We are missing something."

"Yeah but we won't get near that something today."
Hotch said, looking at his watch, standing up.
"It's pretty late. We should all go to sleep."

He then looked at Spencer and me. "Reid, don't leave her side."

Spencer nodded quickly as we got up, opening me the door before sitting in the car.
As I buckled myself in, I exhaled and expected Spencer to start the engine, but he didn't move.

I furrowed my brows and looked at him puzzled, trying to understand why he wouldn't start driving.
"Spencer?"

"Are you going to stay?"

I bit my lip and blinked a few times.
"I-I don't know."

"But you have to know. You have to tell me."

"Why?"

Our eyes locked and I could see that he was overthinking whatever he wanted to say next.
He opened his mouth but closed it again, before repeating the action, my eyes glued to his lips.
"You have to stay... No, please stay. I don't want to force your decision but-."

He interrupted himself and exhaled deeply. "Stay."

I pressed my lips together, trying to think of something to say. I was torn apart between my family and the team, who more and more became my family.
I loved being on the team, helping them solve the cases and being there for the victims when it happens, not just after it had happened. But I wouldn't be there for my sister everytime she had a seizure or when she wanted to talk to someone.

"You know.."
Spencer snapped me out of my thoughts, looking out at the dark road, the only source of light being the street lamps.
"It was hard being a 12-year-old in a Las Vegas High School. But there was one kid, one girl, that helped me out. She was there when I first came to the school, helped me out against the kids who laughed at me. She was 2 years older than me and I only knew because she was the older sister of a girl I really liked. Back then, she was two grades below me but skipped one because she was really smart. I've always liked that about her.
Sadly, I didn't have the courage to ask about her name so I never got it, but her sister told me her name. Gabs."
He stopped and our eyes met. "Today, when you called your sister by her nickname, it hit me."

I didn't really know how to reply. Back in high school, I only knew about a boy-genius but I never met him and never got his name.
But even back then, I was overwhelmed by his wonderful mind, even a bit jealous. Not in a bad way, but in a good way.
I thought: 'Wow, how could this boy be so smart?'.

Spencer cleared his throat, snapping me out of my thought and starting the engine. "Now wasn't the right time to tell you. I am so sorry. Let's talk about it another time, or never again if you want."

I looked at him and as our eyes met. I smiled slightly and took a hold of his hand. "Let's talk about it when this is all over."

He didn't let go of my hand until we reached the hotel room. 

~●~

THEY. OWN. MY. HEART.

THEY. ARE SO. CUTE. FIGHT. ME.