Tepid (Pt. 1)

Sorry to interrupt with a lil author's note- I just wanted to say thank you, so much, for 400 votes! I honestly didn't expect this story to get much attention, but I was pleasantly surprised!

Anyway, thank you, and I hope you enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 The sun shone down on green and blonde locks, highlighting the colors and casting a soft glow across smooth and freckled cheeks alike. It was completely silent as they walked, the space around them filled with nothing but the sound of soles thudding on the pavement and the occasional crunch of a stray leaf.

 It'd been several days since their lunch together, when Izuku had something to hide and Kacchan kept prodding, and it was now Friday- the day they'd agreed to meet up to research Izuku's mental issues. They were walking side by side on the sidewalk, lips sewn shut and eyes locked on the path ahead of them, and it couldn't have been more awkward.

 Most likely because after the bell had interrupted Kacchan's interrogation and they split ways, they hadn't really talked. Izuku had, admittedly, been avoiding him. Kacchan was just too perceptive and the greenette couldn't risk him figuring something out. Plus, the thought of hanging out with the other alone in his house was… nerve-wracking. He'd honestly been hoping Kacchan had forgotten about their arrangements, or that maybe he'd discarded the idea when Izuku started avoiding him, but then Friday came around and the blonde was dragging the smaller teen out of the school building and down the street towards his house without giving him a chance to protest- one strong fist choking the cotton of his jacket collar the whole way.

 "Um," Izuku started hesitantly, grabbing and pulling at the sleeves of his uniform. He was trying to start a conversation in the hopes of making this journey less awkward. "It's- The sun is really pretty today, isn't it, Kacchan? Ahah… "

 Kacchan huffed and continued to glare forward, obviously unimpressed. Izuku mentally face-palmed, god he was such an idiot. Kacchan hated small talk, everyone knew that!

 The greenette cleared his throat a little and willed the light flush of embarrassment rising on his cheeks to go down as he tried again.

 "I-I mean… I, um, I saw you the other day during quirk training! You were so awesome, like always!"

 Izuku looked up at Kacchan somewhat expectantly, but his expression hadn't changed. He also didn't say anything, which Izuku took as the OK to keep going.

 "Y-You know, they actually let me take notes on you guys during training! Since I can't really participate. Anyway, you've definitely gotten a lot stronger! You've always improved kind of fast, but ever since the sludge villain incident, your technique and skill have skyrocketed! You must be practicing so hard! I mean, you haven't hit me with one of your explosions in a while, but I can tell even from the distance th-"

 "Will you shut the fuck up?! You're too damn obsessed with quirks and your shitty fucking notes!" Kacchan barked, his porcelain-like face pinched in annoyance. Izuku quieted immediately, snapping his jaw shut as red splotches bloomed all across his face.

 He had a tendency to ramble, and he knew he sounded crazy. It was humiliating how often it happened and how often he had to be told to stop, but he just couldn't help himself, especially when it came to quirks. Quirks were one of the only things Izuku felt comfortable talking about. He knew them, fixated on them- his obsession was the only thing he had, really. It was the only thing that could distract him so thoroughly.