A Wilting Flower

Getting up in the morning was easier that day than Izuku remembered it being in a long time.

 Kacchan had left before Izuku had even gotten up, presumably to get clothes and school supplies from his house before school.

  I have to remember to thank him when I see him next, he thought, pulling on his black middle school uniform. It was because of Kacchan he'd slept so soundly, afterall.

 The green haired boy got ready for school with a smile on his face, appreciating the warmth from the sun's soft glow as it spilled in through the window and painted his room orange. He felt so light - he hadn't even realized just how heavy the burden he'd been carrying was until it was lifted from his shoulders.

 The freckled boy checked himself in the mirror, picking at and messing with his curls a little before giving up and grabbing his things. He skipped all the way to school and sat down at an unusually clean desk, prepared to absorb as much information as possible. The day was turning out to be a good one, and he wouldn't let it go to waste.

 And when Kacchan walked through the door, Izuku did thank him, to which the blonde responded with a low snarl of, "Shut the fuck up." So, essentially, exactly what Izuku had expected. Izuku had just smiled back at the angry boy, much to the latter's chagrin.

 The greenette managed to stay focused the entire day, the pages of his notebook filled with so much detail the words were beginning to get crammed in the corners. He was able to appreciate the view from the roof come lunch time instead of just mindlessly shoveling his food into his mouth like usual and smiling didn't feel so painful or forced. The air felt so crisp and everything looked so alive .

 It wasn't that he was euphoric- far from it. He just felt normal , and that wasn't something he'd had the privilege of feeling lately. To him, 'okay' was a luxury, and he cherished every second of it.

 Izuku was making his way out of school when a blue sneaker shoved its way into his path. The green haired boy didn't have enough time to react and hit the foot, tumbling down to the ground before he could catch himself. His face hit the concrete hard and the taste of copper filled his mouth. The boys who tripped him snickered and made snide remarks as they walked away, sparing a glance back as Izuku got up but nothing more.

 And suddenly, Izuku's chipper mood came crashing down on his head. The weight came right back and abruptly all the greenette wanted to do was lay down in bed and stop existing for a while. It was such a drastic shift in his frame of mind that he almost forgot he'd been feeling good at all. 

 Izuku got up anyway, though, and continued on, a small spark of irritation igniting in his chest. It didn't make sense. He was bullied constantly, he was used to it, and the rest of the day had gone just fine; such a small act shouldn't make him feel so miserable.