Calm Before the Storm

Today was a good day, Izuku decided as he pushed open the doors of Aldera Junior High and filled his lungs with fresh air. Today was a good day because, for once, he didn't have anything to do, and his head felt as clear as the open, sunny sky.

He was supposed to work every other day (i.e. Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday) and trained every single day of the week except Friday, which meant, unfortunately, there was hardly ever a day he didn't have to do one or the other unless his work schedule changed. It was admittedly very tiring, but he was okay with that. Working all the time meant his mind was occupied. The daunting presence of that dark rain cloud and the overwhelming pressure of rising to expectations could momentarily take a back seat.

But today was different. Today, his brain was unusually quiet. He had gotten used to the low, constant buzz that had made its home in his head, so the silence was a nice change.

On top of that, he'd taken an extra shift on Tuesday to cover one of his coworkers, and in return they'd taken his shift on Friday. Which meant that today, to his endless gratitude, his afternoon was all his to enjoy as he wished.

He walked through the throngs of students, a slight bounce in his step. He swung his head around wildly, taking in the pretty way the trees swayed in the breeze and the ripples of light in the koi pond as the sun reflected off it. He took time to appreciate the little flower buds pushing their way through the soil, the sound of birds chirping and laughter from the various conversations around him, the way the world dimmed slightly and the air got cooler as a cloud passed over the sun. He studied everything carefully, his eyes roaming over everything in sight and committing it to memory. He hadn't felt this peaceful in a while, and he was determined to enjoy it fully, dammit!

With a small smile gracing his lips, Izuku stepped off school property and onto the sidewalk.

What should I do today? It's my one day off, I should make the most of it, he thought. Because he didn't usually get breaks like this, deciding what to do felt so important. He didn't want to waste this opportunity.

It feels like I should do something productive with this time. Like I should do something meaningful or maybe just as many things as possible. But... wouldn't it just be best to do what I want to do? What do I want to do?

He put a finger to his lips, humming to himself in thought as his legs worked on auto-pilot, guiding him down the same familiar streets he'd walked hundreds of times before.

Well, Mom isn't going to be home for a while yet, so... maybe I could do something fun for a change? Maybe... something like... the arcade?

The thought sparked a small flutter of excitement in his chest, and Izuku brought a hand up to clutch at the fabric of his uniform jacket. A small, warm smile curved his lips at the somewhat unfamiliar feeling.

Yeah, the arcade sounded great.

○•

Izuku, blissfully unaware of the fiery red orbs that latched onto him from across the room, strode through the arcade door and took a deep breathe in, appreciating the stale scent of nacho cheese and pennies.

The old, frayed carpet dulled the sound of his shoes hitting the floor, creating lame thumps as he walked past the rows of games and candy dispensers.