Extra Chapter: The Future

It's been a few months since Clementine got pregnant. You're very nervous about being a dad. You're sitting on your bed, sewing up a piece of leather. There's a knock at the door.

You: Yeah?

The door opens and someone walks in.

Lee: Hey, kiddo.

You look to your left to see Lee. You smile.

You: Oh, hey, dad.

He sits next to you.

Lee: What are you doing?

You look at the piece of leather.

You: Making an eyepatch to cover this up. You say, gesturing to your missing eye.

You continue sewing.

Lee: You think it's necessary?

You: You don't?

Lee: I think we've established that no one is bothered by it.

You: To you, maybe... But not to this kid. I'm trying to make this world a better place for her. She doesn't need to know about what the world was like before all of this. And she also doesn't need to know that her dad was the poster child for it.

Lee smirks. You stop sewing and you look at him.

You: What?

Lee: You keep talking like it's gonna be a girl.

You: Well, Clem wants me to stop calling the baby "it" and shit like that. You say, going back to sewing.

Lee: Watch the swears, man.

You under your breath: Jesus Christ...

Lee: If you're gonna bring a baby into this world, you need to make sure that it hears the right words.

You: Oh, don't play saint. You were just like me.

Lee: And I've grown out of it...almost.

You: That's exactly my point.

You both share a chuckle.

Lee: But seriously. One day, your kid's gonna see you without an eyepatch.

You: Then let's hope that's far into the future, shall we? Look, I don't wanna scare this kid on her first day in this world. This is step one to fixing the way we see things. And if that means covering up that bad and scary parts...

You finish sewing the eyepatch.

You: then so be it.

You stand up and you walk over to the mirror. You wrap the eyepatch around your head, covering your missing eye. It looks pretty good.

You turn around and look at Lee.

You: See? Ten times better.

Lee stands up and walks up to you. He puts his hand on your shoulder and smiles.

Lee: I'm proud of you.

You raise your eyebrow.

You: For what?

Lee: ...For trying to do the right thing for your baby. If you're willing to keep her away from the cruel and dangerous world that it used to be...then I'm proud of you, kid.

You smile. He hugs you, so you hug back. He pulls out of the hug.

Lee: Well, we should get to work. Should be a long day.

You: Alright. Ruby said she needed your help today because her assistant is absent.

Lee: Sure. I'll see you later, kid.