Chapter 14: Welcome

Shaun's POV

A guard told you that your dad wants them to stay at Phill's old house with Andy until they get situated. You told the guard that you show them where it is and that's what you're doing right now.

Dante: How long has this place been here?

Shaun: Well, that's tricky question because it started as a school before the dead started walking. My mom and dad were seventeen when they found this place. It already had a few other kids. My dad found my grandparents when he was eighteen and they we were part of a caravan group. They had a builder, Eddie, and he started building the designs my dad planned.

Dante: Damn. Sounds like a good story.

Shaun: It definitely is.

A/N: ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

Shaun: We have school not too far from here, if you guys wanna do some academic stuff.

Hope: No.

Shaun: Fair enough.

You all make it over to Andy's house. You knock on the door. After a few seconds, Andy comes out.

Andy: Oh. Hey, Shaun.

Shaun: Hey. So these guys are new, and my dad hasn't given them a house yet, so they're gonna have to stay with you for a night or two.

Andy: Sure. Come on in.

Dante and Hope walk in. Hope turns around.

Hope: When can we have our weapons back?

Shaun: Uh, I don't know. That's for my dad to decide.

Hope: He's gonna give them back, right?

Dante: Hope.

Hope looks back at Dante.

Hope: What? She says in an annoyed tone.

Dante: Just relax. Our weapons aren't going anywhere.

Hope sighs.

Hope: Fine.

Hope turns around.

Shaun: Get some rest, guys. God knows you need it.

Dante smiles at you.

Dante: Thanks, Shaun.

You smile back at him.

Shaun: No problem.

Dante closes the door, so you walk away from the house.

You POV
Timeskip

You walk into your office with a file to see the new kids looking around. The little girl is on the leather couch with her feet kicked up on the armrest and the teen is looking at your shelves.

You: Well, hello.

They both look at you.

You start walking over to your desk.

You: I see you're here for the meeting.

Teen: Uh, yeah. Shaun told us about it.

You: Great. Then you should know I'm gonna do. You say, sitting in your chair and placing the file on the desk.

The kids walk over to the desk and sit in the chairs on the other side.

You: I'm Y/N L/N. Leader of Ericson's.

Teen: Dante.

Dante: And this is my sister, Hope.

Hope: Hey. I like your eyepatch.

You smile at the compliment.

You: Thank you. Now, I'm gonna start off with a few simple questions.

Dante: Sure.

You: Alright.

You open the file and you read the first question.

You: Where were you before you ended up here?

You look up at Dante.

Dante: We were in the woods for a while.

You start writing his answers down.

Dante: Our settlement got raided, so we had to run.

You: Sorry to hear that.

Dante: It wasn't the best place. I'd always catch food for Hope so she could eat, barely having enough to keep our bodies nourished.

You: Well, you don't have to worry about that anymore.

You read the next question.

You: How would you rate your survival skills on a scale of 1 to 10? 1 being nothing at all, 10 being we could survive without question.

Hope: 10. Dante...not so much.

Dante: Oh, please. We're both 10.

You write that down. You read the next question.

You: In Ericson's we have a school system from grades 1 to 12. Will you be attending classes?

Dante: Is it mandatory?

You look up at Dante.

You: Well, it depends. In Ericson's we have a point system. Depending on what kind of job you have, you'll be able to make a lot of points. The only way you can get a good job is by graduating. Unless you'd like to be one of our scouts or hunters?

Dante: What's a scout?

You: We have a group of scouts lead by my son, AJ. He takes the scouts to a settlement to see if they need assistance with anything, that way we can get some sort of a bond between our communities. If they don't need assistance, the scouts offer them a trade of weapons, food, medicine, so and so.

Hope: What about the hunters?

You: Exactly how it sounds. You give food to the community, the community gives back points. Now, you can spend your points on things in our various shops around the community. Dinner's free, though.

Hope and Dante look at each other. They both look back at you.

Dante: I think we'll be one of those.

You: Excellent. If there's anything you'd like to ask me, now's your chance.

Hope raises her hand.

You: Yes?

Hope puts her hand down.

Hope: Is there hot water?

You smile.