Chapter 18: The Mystery

Your POV
You're in your office with the council: You, Clem, AJ, Lee, Christa, Louis, Violet, Aasim, Willy, Ruby, and Tenn. You're all discussing the walker from the woods. Clem stands next to your chair.

A polaroid of the walker was taken by one of the scouts and is now on your desk.

You sit in your chair, pondering about an explanation.

Willy: I bet it was Lilly.

Aasim: How? She's stuck in a cell down in the boiler room. Plus: Y/N put extra security by the cellar doors.

Violet: He's right. It was someone who actually SAW the execution.

Louis: But who in their right minds would do this?

Clementine puts her hand on your shoulder.

Lee: Didn't even spell "Ericson's" right.

Aasim: Really, Lee? THAT'S what you're worried about?

Lee: I'm sayin' whoever did this isn't even from around here. If they can't even spell their own community's name, how could they be from here?

Ruby: You think someone's watching us?

Lee: ...Maybe...

Christa: Jesus Christ...

Clem: Look, everyone needs to calm down. This is scary, but I'm sure Y/N knows how to handle this situation. Right, Y/N?

You sigh.

You: I'm gonna be honest. These people don't seem to be messing around. I'm not gonna underestimate people who I don't know anything about. These people could be bandits, or they could be an entire army. I know they'll come for us.

You look at the polaroid on your desk.

You: This walker doesn't have any wounds on him. These people just hung him, and left him for us to find.

You look up at everyone.

You: They already know where we are. If they were able to see what happened with Phill, they already have an image of us.

Tenn: But it's not like we execute people on the daily.

You: I'm not the one you need to convince on that.

Christa: So what do we do if they show up. Are we ready for that?

Clementine crosses her arms.

Clem: We aren't ready for anything that we don't know of. There could be fifty of them, or there could be five-hundred. Our best bet is to leave Ericson's while we still have the chance.

Louis: And waste everything that we've worked so hard for?

Clem: We should just go to the Commonwealth! We should've done that when Rick gave us the chance.

AJ: Mom, there're still settlements that need our help.

Clem: We can't help them if we're dead.

Clem looks at you.

Clem: Think about it. Ohio's a state with very little walkers, and we'll be safe from any community with an army. They can't be situated in more than one state.

Aasim: You don't know that.

Clem: Well, I know I don't want my children living in a place where anyone could attack at any moment.

You lean back in your chair and you rub your chin.

Lee: What's the call?

Everyone awaits your solution. You can tell they're scared.

You: ...I'm gonna have to think this over. In the meantime, we have all the guards patrolling inside and outside the walls. I don't care if they're on duty, off duty, I need them out there. Willy, Aasim, you think you can handle that?

They both nod.

Willy: You can count on us, boss.

Aasim: Yeah, we'll let 'em know.

They both walk out of your office.

You: Ruby, do you think you can get my radio in here? I need to inform all the nearby settlements of our new friends.

Ruby: You got it, sug.

She walks out of your office.

You: Everyone else. You say, standing up. I need you all to keep your heads on straight. Stay on alert for any suspicious activity inside the walls. Dismissed.

Everyone starts to walk out. You sit back down in your chair. Clem walks around the table.

Clem: Look...just think about the kids.

You: That's all I think about, Clem. You know I'm only doing this for them, right?

Clem: I know... But we're not safe here anymore.

You look down and you sigh.

Clem: I'm gonna go tuck Madison in.

You nod.

Clem smiles at you.

Clem: I love you.

You look up and you smile back.

You: I love you, too.

She kisses you and turns around and walks out of your office.

Before the door closes, Ruby walks in with a few other people. They have your radio. They set the parts on your desk.

You: Thanks, Ruby.

Ruby: You want us to set it up for ya?

You: No, thank you. I got it.

Ruby: Alright. 'Night, Y/N.

You: Goodnight, everyone.

They all walk out of your office.

You set up your radio and you plug it in. You sit back down in your chair. You're about to radio for the settlements, but something stops you. You turn the knob somewhere else.

You: This is Y/N L/N, leader of Ericson's, contacting the Commonwealth.

Shaun's POV

You're in your room, reading comics, when there's a knock at your door.

You get off your bed and you walk over to the door. You open it and Dante and Hope run in.

Shaun: Woah! Dante?

Dante turns to you.

Dante: Look, we need to talk.

Hope closes the door and walks over to the window.

Shaun: About what?

Hope looks through the window and walks over to Dante.

Dante: All clear?

Hope: Yeah.

Shaun: Hello?

Dante grabs onto your arms.

Dante: Look, man... You're in danger.

Shaun: What?

Dante: Connor told me about the dog tag you found. The Light Bearers, right?

Shaun: Yeah. How do you--

Dante: They attacked our settlement. They did something like this as a warning. We need to move everyone out of here as quickly as pos--

*BOOM!*