Chapter 8: The Incident

Chad's on guard duty with a bow and arrow. Everyone else is enjoying themselves at the campfire. Tenn and Amy are talking, AJ's talking with his friends, and you and Louis are talking with each other. It's a good time.

You look over at Andy to see him sitting by himself. AJ notices this too.

AJ's POV

You look back at the scouts.

AJ: Hey, I'll be right back.

They nod as you turn around and walk over to Andy.

AJ: Hey.

Andy looks up at you.

Andy: Uh, hey.

AJ: You cool if I sit here?

Andy: Yeah, go for it.

You sit next to him on a log.

Andy: Hey, man, look, I'm sorry about Shaun. Chad just doesn't let me talk, and if I try to say something to him about what he does, he just threatens me.

You shrug your shoulders.

AJ: It's alright. People like your brother can tend to be dicks to anyone. Including family.

He chuckles.

Andy: Yeah, I guess.

You both look at the fire for a few seconds. You look back at Andy.

AJ: Look, I've been thinking.

He looks at you.

AJ: You wanna join the scouts?

His eyes widen.

Andy: Wha... Really?!

AJ: Why not? I mean, we might need to teach you some archery first--I saw you and your brother at the stream.

Andy: Oh, yeah, I'll work on it.

AJ: Great. Well, uh...

You hold out your hand for a handshake.

AJ: welcome aboard.

He smiles at shakes your hand.

Andy: Thanks.

You let go of each other's hands and you both look back at the fire.

Chad's POV

You're watching AJ talk to Andy while you smoke a hand-made cigarette. He just made Andy a scout.

Chad: Fucking traitor.

You take another puff.

Chad: That bitch does what the fuck I say. Not AJ. Wait until dad hears about this. Then he'll be sor-- AHHH!

Your POV

You all stand up and look over at Chad to see a walker biting into his shoulder. He screams in pain.

Andy: Chad!

Andy runs up to Chad and punches the walker off of him. Louis shoots the walker in the head with an arrow while it's on the ground.

Guard: Boss! We got walkers everywhere!

You look around to see the guards shooting at an approaching small herd.

You: Shit, a few must've survived the stream. Everyone, fight back!

Everyone takes out their bows and arrows or their crafted weapons. They start attacking the walkers.