Chapter 13

A second Chari trotted into view alongside thefirst. This one was much smaller than the other, only coming up to half of Leo'sheight.

The smaller Chari attempted to mirror the regal pose of its larger counterpart

The smaller Chari attempted to mirror the regal pose of its larger counterpart. It stood as tall as it could while proudly gazing into some faraway space above the Thunder Rocs, as if the birds below weren't worthy of its attention. Sparky seemed to get flustered by this, and she sent a small zap of electricity that splashed harmlessly on the stairs next to the young Chari's paws.

Startled by the lightning, the creature flinched away, raising its front paws needlessly in an effort to evade the minuscule attack. Its reaction resulted in a series of amused squawking from the gaggle below. The Chari's ears flicked as it attempted to ignore the antics of the Thunder Rocs and regain its poise. This time, instead of looking off into the distance, its gaze fell directly on Sparky.

The muffled sound of padded feet sounded from atop the summit as a swath of newborn Chari suddenly appeared alongside the others. They lined up at the top of the stairway, looking like a brigade of cavalry ready to charge. The sizes of the newcomers were all slightly smaller than their pack leader, and a quick observation told Leo their levels only ranged from two to three. They tried to mimic the confident composure of their leader, although a few of the smaller ones flicked their tails in obvious apprehension as they eyed the increasingly hyper birds below.

The air thickened with tension as the two hordes of monsters faced off. Leo was beginning to think the few hundred feet that separated him from the creatures wasn't going to be enough. Just as he was about to scoot back, Amira let out a resounding cry, her call echoing across the summit with the intensity of a thunder clap. Almost immediately, the two groups surged forth.

Large bolts of electricity converged on the Chari's location as the line of creatures scattered with cat-like reflexes. The majority rushed down the steps, looking to meet the charging birds head-on while a few others took to the air, white runic circles appearing beneath their paws and propelling them above the flock below.

Two Chari were hit with the initial barrage; one of them fumbled but quickly found its footing in time to avoid the attacks that followed, but the other wasn't so lucky. Its stunned body came crashing down the stairway into the swarm below, where it was quickly peppered by more bolts until its white fur blackened.

Angered at seeing the death of their kin, the Chari struck back. Silver energy condensed around their bladed horns until they released it with a cleaving motion at the birds below. The silver energy sprang away in an arc, distorting the air around it as it flew almost too quickly to follow. The Thunder Rocs tried to scatter but several of the fast-moving distortions still found their mark. The ripple in reality seemed to implode whatever it touched. Those who were struck had their wings, feet and even entire midsection fold in on themselves with a sickening crunch. The pathetic squawks of their comrades as they were hit seemed to drive the flock into a fury, and they ramped up their assault with a vengeful cry.