Chapter 9

Leo checked his gear for the third time since leaving the compound. The old geezer had told him in no uncertain terms that if he returned before leveling up, he would be pitted against an entire colony of imps inhabiting the northern reaches of the Garden. Then the old man had practically shoved him outside in the middle of the night, instructing him to follow the stream feeding the pond for the best hunting grounds.

He didn't know if Zeld would really go through with such drastic training methods if he returned unsuccessful, but his newfound fear of spontaneously exploding was enough of a motivator to ensure he would try his best. At least the old man had geared him up for this expedition.

Zeld had given him the gear, saying Leo would be doing him a favor in breaking down his trash, but compared to Leo's own equipment, or lack thereof, it was a treasure trove

Zeld had given him the gear, saying Leo would be doing him a favor in breaking down his trash, but compared to Leo's own equipment, or lack thereof, it was a treasure trove. Aveth had also been returned to him so that he could gain some real combat experience with the sword. Apparently, most creatures on the island wouldn't be able to withstand a single swing of the blade's deadly edge, but it would still leave him with the challenge of actually hitting them. He had also been given an enchanted steel dagger and one of Zeld's failed healing solutions for emergency.

Regardless of the supposed quality of the gear, it was touching to have the old recluse outfit him for his best chance of survival

Regardless of the supposed quality of the gear, it was touching to have the old recluse outfit him for his best chance of survival. It was almost enough to reassure him about going back into mortal danger.

It was nearing dusk as Leo made his way back to the pool, hoping to find some preferably fluffy, cute and harmless creatures to murder for experience. He reached the pond as the last rays of the evening light dipped behind the trees, leaving the reflection of a shattered white moon dancing on the soft ripples of the water.

Surprised, he looked up at the eternal crescent, trying to imagine what could've ripped such a massive chunk away from it. As he searched the night sky for the cause, he spotted a second moon! Either due to its sheer size or a closer proximity to Asylum, this one was at least four times the size of the first. It was completely intact and reflected a slightly reddish light.

Melody would freak. Leo couldn't help the thought slipping through his defenses. Their dad had always been an astronomy nut, and his little sister had inherited the craze. She had force-fed him knowledge of almost all of Earth's constellations during her frequently demanded stargazing trips. None of those familiar stars were visible now.