22•

"It was the exact same thing that happened to Will last year. The exact same thing." Nancy explained as she paced the room. "And look at this. Look at the body temperatures."

We all leant forward to look at the paper and I felt a chill run down my spine. "We'll, he likes it cold."

"Okay, so this crazy old woman who was eating fertiliser-" Mike started.

"Mrs. Driscoll." Nancy added.

"Right, yeah, Mrs. Driscoll." Mike nodded. "What time was the attack?"

"Last night." Nancy answered.

"Yeah, but what time last night?" Mike questioned his sister.

"Around nine."

"You waited all night to call?" Jonathan frowned as he stood beside Nancy with his hands on his hips.

"Wait you weren't there?" Will frowned.

"Well I'm here now." Jonathan sighed, only to receive a sarcastic laugh from Nancy.

"Hallelujah." She proclaimed as she mockingly threw her hands up.

"Guys sort this out later okay?" I said as I eyed the two from the couch. "We need to focus." Whatever spat the two of them were having, now was not the time.

Jonathan looked at the floor and sighed as Nancy fiddled with the hem of her dress. "Right... So- um what time was your... Sauna test?" She asked carefully.

"Around nine." The kids answered.

"Well, that proves it," Nancy said, "That proves my theory."

"She's flayed," Mike added, "just like Billy." The image of Billy's face and his outstretched arm flashed across my mind.

"Flayed?" Jonathan frowned.

"The mind flayer."Mike explained. "He flays people. Takes over their mind. Once they do that, they basically become him."

"If there are two flayed..." Lucas began.

"Then there has to be more." I sighed. We could barely deal with one flayed, let alone an army.

"Heather." El stated, causing us all to look at her. "Billy was doing something to her. She was scared. She was screaming. Bad screams."

"What's a good scream?" Lucas frowned.

"Max said..." El trailed off as she pointed to me and my mouth fell open slightly. I turned and narrowed my eyes at Max.

"Doesn't matter." Max choked out.

"I'm sorry, " Nancy said, "I'm lost. Who's Heather?"

"She's a lifeguard at the pool." Max answered.

"Heather Holloway?" Nancy questioned, causing us all to nod as she and Jonathan exchanged glances. "Tom."

Nancy motioned for me to follow as her and Jonathan backed away to talk. "Mr. and Mrs. Holloway were there the night that we saw Billy." I explained. "You think something happened to them too?"

"Well there's only one way to find out." Nancy sighed.

"Evie- are you okay?" Jonathan asked as he motioned to my neck. I brought my hand up and ran my fingers across my throat before nodding.

"Yeah..." I sighed. "It's just crazy how one minute he's himself and then... Well, he's not."

"We'll get him back." Jonathan nodded with a tight smile.

"We should go." Nancy said as she reassuringly placed her hand on my arm.

We gathered the kids and soon enough we were all piled into the back of Jonathan's car. I really hope that we were wrong about this.