1•

"Steve just pick one before I go insane ." I groaned as I sat up and adjusted the volume on my radio, which blasted 'Everything she wants' by 'Wham!' throughout my room.

"It's not that easy." He frowned and continued to meticulously flick through the job section of 'The Hawkins' post'.

It was summer and helping Steve pick a job wasn't exactly the top of my priorities, but seeing as he had helped me get mine two weeks prior, It was 'the right thing to do', according to him.
"Of course it is, it couldn't be any easier! One: open newspaper, two: pick job, three: apply for job."

"But what if I don't like it?" He sounded like a child.

"I don't like scabby old dogs and flea ridden cats but that doesn't mean I refuse a job that gives me money." I unfolded my arms and rolled off my bed and onto my feet.

"I thought you liked the pound?"

"I only like it because Nancy and Jonathan work right across the street."

"Yeah and the fact that you can go to the pool and see Billy every lunch break."

I pulled off my slipper and whaled it at Steve's head, immediately wiping the grin from his face. "Focus Steven."

Steve groaned and flipped back onto my bed. He held one arm over his eyes and the other was outstretched and waving a newspaper in my face. "I didn't want to do this, but you pick for me."

"I've been waiting an hour for you to say that." I grabbed the paper from his hand, flicking to the back. "Here we go, Starcourt mall needs a new employee for Scoops Ahoy ice-cream parlor."

"Do I get free ice-cream?"

"Seriously?"

Steve shrugged.

"You get discount." I sighed.

"I guess it's better than that nursing home." He sat up and stuffed on his shoes. "Come on, let's go check it out."

"Why do I have to come?" I frowned. I already had plans to go and see Billy at the pool right after I got rid of Steve.

"You know I have the independence of an infant, right?" he cocked his eyebrows at me.

"Oh yeah, I forgot about your constant need to be babied." I smirked as I quickly grabbed some clothes to change out of my pyjamas. Steve discreetly turned around to give me some privacy as I pulled on a pair of denim shorts. A frown made its way onto my face as I noticed they were a bit tight around my hips. I struggled, but eventually I button them up before adding a white tank. I threw on one of Billy's check shirts, leaving it unbuttoned so it hung just below the bottom of my shorts.

"I am baby." Steve grinned as he opened the door.

"And he asks me why he's still single?" I said to the empty landing before moving out of my room and towards the stairs.

"Asshole." I heard Steve mumble as he jogged down the stairs behind me.

I opened the front door and stood on the porch. It was a hot day and the air was thick and clammy. Steve came out behind me and shut the door. "So who's driving?" I asked, turning to him.

"Me, I want to get there in one piece." He moved towards his car while throwing his keys back and forth between his hands.

"I'm a great driver!" I stomped after him and got into the passanger seat.

"Yeah," Steve put the key into the ignition, "tell that to the squirrel Billy had to scrape off your front bumper last week."

"It's not my fault the stupid thing didn't look where it was going." I crossed my arms as Steve backed out of the drive.

"Don't worry Evie, you're not a stupid thing."

"Steve I swear to God."