6•

The evening sun was low in the sky as I looked up from my place on the grass beside Billy.

"You know what's cool?" He mused, breaking the silence. I looked over at him in response. "This is the same sky that people from a hundred fucking years ago looked at. The sun, the stars, the clouds, the whole everything." A small smile was evident on his lips and it made me grin.

"That's heavy," I rolled onto my side so I could look at him, "I mean, you put it beautifully, but please no existential crisis talk until after ten pm." I grinned and all I got was a chuckle in response.

Suddenly he rolled over so he was on top of me and propped himself up with his elbows either side of my head. "You're the best thing that's ever happened to me." He whispered as he peppered kisses all along my neck and jawline. Alright that has to be the cutest thing he has ever said to me.

"Careful," I sniggered, "sounds like you're going soft with telling me all of this sappy bullshit that I love so much."

Billy rolled his eyes and smiled. "Yeah, you made me soft."

"And don't you know it," I grinned before booping him on the nose, "besides, you saved me remember?"

"We kind of saved each other." His soft chuckle rang through my ears as I kissed him on the lips.

"You're really pulling on my heart strings." I whispered, breaking the kiss.

"I know," he suddenly moved back so he was sitting beside me on the grass, "it's just, I love you and-" he cut himself off by wiping his hand over his face, "it's stupid."

"It's not, go on."

Billy sighed, "I love you and I don't know if I always show you and I don't know if I tell you enough so sometimes I fucking panic and think that I won't be good enough anymore." He was glaring at the ground and he had a pink tinge to his cheeks. I'm not going to lie I was slightly taken back by this. We'd been dating for seven months and this was our first real heart to heart.

"Billy," I moved closer to him, "you will always be good enough. I love you okay? I love you no matter what and I mean that with my whole heart."

He continued to look me in the eye for a few moments longer before cracking a small laugh. "We're so soppy." He slung his arm around my waist and pulled me closer to him.

"You know it, Goldilocks." A massive grin plastered my face.

"Alright Princess." He smiled.

I rested my head on his shoulder and smirked. "Me the princess? I'm not the one with the long blonde hair."

Billy moved his head to look at me and subconsciously touched his mullet while frowning. "I thought you liked my hair?"

"I do...your highness." I pushed myself onto my feet and laughed at his facial expression. Billy quickly jumped up beside me and grabbed me by my waist.

"I couldn't be royalty." He laughed.

"Why not?"

He moved in front of me and started to move like what I can only describe as a handicapped horse. "Because they walk like this." He said the last bit of his sentence in a scratchy high pitch English accent and I lost it.

"And they drink tea like this." I mimicked the accent and mimed drinking tea with the body language of the mad hatter. My pinkie finger was stuck high in the air. Billy's laugh boomed into the evening sky as he threw his head back.

"Alright I got one," he laughed and started walking as if wearing high heels, "and they do their hair like this." He began fixing and touching and proofing his hair and batting his eyelashes at me. I was laughing so hard now that no noise was coming out and I'm pretty sure I looked like a constipated seal. Billy was laughing hard too, until he was cut off by the slamming of a car door. I quickly composed myself and turned around, only to see Neil standing with his arms crossed and Susan getting out of the car and closing her door more gently. Shit.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Neil seethed. I was just about to open my mouth to answer when I realized he wasn't talking to me. I took a glance to my left to see Billy standing with his fists closed and his jaw clenched.

"We were just messing ab-"

"No," Neil's voice was loud now, but still quite not a shout, "I'll tell you what you were doing." He uncrossed his arms and stalked over to Billy so now they were just inches apart. "You were prancing around on my front lawn like some faggot." I could see Billy tense up as Neil spat the last word. Why was his dad such a colossal fucking dickhead?

"It was my idea, Mr Hargrove. We were just having some fun." Neil didn't even look at me. He continued to glare at Billy for a moment longer before turning to walk away from us.

"Shut your whore up." He spat.

"Neil!" Susan scolded. She was closer to us now.

I just stood there, hatred boiling in my blood. From the corner of my eye I could see Billy take a step forward and go to grab Neil and when I tell you I could not have moved fast enough to wrap my hands around his arm and pull him back.

"And don't even think about coming back into this house," Neil threw over his shoulder, "you're an embarrassment." With that he marched into the house and Susan followed behind him, mouthing a 'sorry' before she closed the door behind herself.

"Billy come on, well just go." I said, but he just stood there, frozen. "Billy?" I placed my hand on his shoulder and he angrily shrugged me off. He turned his back to me and brought his hands up to his face.

"Don't fucking touch me," he quietly spat before pressing his hands to his eyes, "just not for a second."

I stood there beside him for a moment until someone caught my eye in the front living room window. "Psssst Evie." Max whisper shouted. I quickly walked over to the window.

"Hey firecracker, you see all that?" I asked in a low voice as I nodded in the direction behind me.

"Yeah," she sighed, "I'm sorry for what he called you."

"Don't you ever apologize for that asshole ever again. You hear me?" Max quickly nodded before fishing something from her pocket.

"Here." She dropped mine and Billy's keys out the window and I cought them in my hands.

"You're a lifesaver, you know that?" I smiled as I shoved the keys in my pocket. "You going to be alright here?"

"Yeah I'll be fine," she suddenly looked behind her and moved away from the window, "see you tomorrow Evie." And with that, she closed the window.

I turned back around and walked over to Billy, who looked a bit more calmer. "Come on." I took his hand and and started to walk to the Camaro.

"What, are we going to walk to the pool because my keys are-" I cut him off by jingling his keys in his face. "How did you-"

"Your sister's amazing, " I gave him a small nod before hesitating while opening the passenger door. I turned my head to look him in the eye and smiled, "and so are you."