29•

I quickly opened up two freezer doors and watched as El sat in front of them. Nancy then folded up an American flag and handed it to her so that she could use it as a blindfold.

I stepped back and watched as she tied it around her head, before everyone went silent. I lazily picked at my nails, trying so desperately to focus on anything that wasn't the end of the world.

The silence was quickly broken as the sound of a popped can tab filled our ears. I glanced up at Lucas, who was taking a drink of New coke.

"Quiet." Max whispered.

"Oh, sorry." Lucas nodded as he proceeded to take a swig.

"How do you even drink that?" Mike said in disgust, and for the first time ever, I had to agree with him. That stuff is gross.

"Because it's delicious." Lucas replied, as if Mike had said something stupid.

"What?" Mike, Max and I said in unison.

"No offence, but that stuff tastes like crap." I frowned, only for Lucas to roll his eyes.

"It's like Carpenter's the Thing. The original is a classic, no question about it. But the remake..."He paused to take a huge gulp as we all stared in bewilderment.

" Sweeter, bolder...Better."

"Youre insane." Mike said as he scrunched his face up.

"So you prefer the original Thing?"

"What? No," Mike frowned, "I'm not talking about the Thing, I'm talking about New Coke."

"It's the same concept dude." Lucas waved the can in the air as if to prove his point and I rolled my eyes.

"Uh, actually, it's not the same concept."

"It is the same concept."

"No, it's not."

"Yes, it is."

"Hey!" Eleven warned as she ripped the blindfold from her face as we all turned to look at her.

"Sorry." Both boys apologised in unison, causing me to roll my eyes yet again.

"Did you... Find him?" Mike stuttered sheepishly.

"Yes."She said after a long sigh." He's at...the movies."

"Seriously?" Max sighed.

"Well at least he's enjoying himself." I mumbled.

"Hang on, the movies?" Lucas questioned as he turned to grab a shopping cart him and Will had filled with foreworks. "Dunstin's so freaked out about the gate, he decides to go watch a movie? Yeah, makes total sense."

"You're positive he said gate and not great?" Max pondered as we rounded the corner of an aisle towards the exit of the store.

"Yeah, like, 'this movie I'm watching is great." Will spoke as I walked beside him.

"Sounded like gate." El stated from behind us.

"Which would explain how the Mind Flayer is still alive." Mike said.

"Yeah we just have to shut it again." Nancy sighed.

"Then the monster dies." Mike continued.

"But if not, we always have Lucas' fireworks." Max smirked as she helped lift the cart out of the store, causing me to snigger.

"Keep mocking my plan, Max. Keep mocking it." Lucas retorted. "I wanna hear you say it again, because you keep doubting me."

"It's not much of a plan." I frowned as we all left the store and made our way over to the trunk of the car.

"Ridiculous." She nodded.

"Will?" Lucas asked, hoping to be backed up. "We're gonna prove them wrong, right?"

"Sure, Buddy." Will replied as he patted Lucas on the back. "Sure."