18•

I drove fast, my knuckles turning white from the force of my grip on the wheel. Not one word had been exchanged between us since I got back into the car after talking to Billy and honestly, the silence was deafening.

Everything hurt as I pulled up outside Max's house. My head, my stomach and my fucking heart. I turned off the engine and the two girls got out, I sat in the car for a moment lost in my thoughts before Max knocked on my driver's window. "Come on Evie." She said with a weak smile.

I finally pulled myself together enough to drag myself from the car and into the house. Max and El both ran upstairs to get ready for bed and I made my way towards the kitchen.

In an attempt to distract myself I got three mugs from the cupboard and started to make us hot chocolate, because everyone knows that chocolate fixes everything. I darted around the kitchen but begrudgingly, my mind started to drift back to Billy. I thought about how he was acting as I stirred the hot chocolates. It made me angry that he was being so cryptic. Why couldn't he just be upfront to me about the whole situation. I added a few marshmallows to the cups before chuckling to myself. It's a good job I wasn't on my period or I really would have lost my- oh.

A loud crash echoed throughout the kitchen and I quickly staggered away from the mess. I watched as the hot chocolate spread over the floor and around the broken pieces of ceramic. "Oh no." I gasped as I ran a hand through my hair. Just as I started to fumble with my fingers to count the weeks, Max came bounding into the room.

"Evie what happened?" She asked as she took in the mess.

"I just dropped it, I'm fine, " my voice came out as a breathless squeak and I wanted to slap myself across the face, "here, for you and El." I babbled as I thrusted the two intact mugs into her hands.

"Thank you, but are you sure you're good?" Max had a small frown on her face.

"Yes," I said with a smile, "go on and I'll clean this up." I started to pick the shards up as Max left the room and once they were all in the trash I tried my best to clean up the sticky chocolate that was all over the floor. "Fantastic... Just what I fucking needed- stupid fucking chocolate..." I mumbled obscenities to myself as I cleaned. I let out a loud sigh of relief once I dumped the last paper towel in the trash can.

I quickly grabbed a plastic beaker and filled it with water from the sink before downing it in only a few gulps. Everything started to make sense as I thought about the past few weeks. I mean, Billy and I always tried to be careful, but there had been a few times when we weren't.

I tried to push all of the horrible thoughts from my mind as I moved towards the couch. I threw myself down and slowly curled into a ball, eventually falling asleep and dreaming of nothing at all.

"Evie wake up we have to go."

"Two minutes." I mumbled before rolling over so that I was now facing the back of the couch.

"Evie, it's a code red get up!" Max whined as she shook my shoulder.

"Fine, alright, okay." I groaned before sitting up. Max and El were standing in front of me with their arms folded. "I just need two seconds to change."

"Evie no-"

"I wasn't asking Max." I said as I quickly jogged down the hall towards Billy's room. I hesitated outside the door for a moment but of course, when I finally entered, the room was the exact same as yesterday, empty. I had been wearing these clothes for two days and I just knew I smelt like ass. I quickly rifled through Billy's closet and pulled out one of his white t-shirts and a clean pair of boxers. I knew that I definitely could not get away with wearing any of his pants so my shorts would have to do.

"Could you have taken any longer?" Max groaned as I came bounding up the hallway.

"Yeah." El sighed.

"Don't gang up on me." I laughed as I followed them out the door. "So where are we going?" I asked as we all got in the car and I started the engine.

"Will's."