Chapter 47: Feast of Starlight

Start from the beginning

"I have told you before," said Thorin, leaning forward. "You are under no obligation to come if you would rather return to the Blue Mountains."

"I have no desire to face yer sister should I return without ya. I promised to do all in my power to see ya and the boys come to no harm."

"Why did you not come with us into Mirkwood to begin with if you made such a promise to her?" asked Thorin.

"It was not a promise to Dis," said Dwalin looking away. "And I was not in my right mind at the time. I apologize."

"I require none," said Thorin, smirking. "At any rate, I'd say that you are the one that needs coddling at the moment, weak as you are." Dwalin's middle finger lifted in his direction and Thorin couldn't help but smile at his grumpy companion. Dwalin was never one to sit still for long and now that it was foisted upon him he could not help but be disgruntled. They lost themselves in thought as it grew quiet for a brief moment.

It has been a grueling few days dealing with the puffed up Elf King and his son, but if they were lucky most of that was behind them now. Balin had once again proved himself invaluable during these talks and Fili too had risen to the occasion. In fact the two had done such a remarkable job that Thorin had needed to interact with the elves very little. The two had worked to find a fair and amicable treaty, even seeing that they would have supplies to last the trip to Lake Town and then Erebor. The two things that Thranduil had insisted on were that he and his people would be left out of anything to do with Smaug and that his gems be returned to him. Surprisingly Thranduil had not even wanted to know how they intended to take the dragon and they had not volunteered any information. Despite the palpable tension between the two races, the alliance would be forged tomorrow night. Only a few more days of dealing with these elves and they need not see them again until the battle for Erebor.

There had been many things on Thorin's mind of late. Between his ailing friend, negotiating the treaty, and finding a solution between himself and Fili in regards to Sara, he had been quite occupied. It was only late in the nights that he found the time to come and visit Dwalin who had not been sleeping well. He had not seen Sara for a few days as she was long since asleep by the time he returned from the day's activities. Despite these concerns there was still a niggling fear in the back of his mind that grew stronger by the day. Dragon sickness. He has avoided it thus far in his life but as he drew closer to the mountain, his fears had reared their head. The brief recounting that Sara had given of the end of the book had certainly not helped. If he fell, as his father and grandfather had, he could damage all that they were working to save here and now. He may even lead his people into destruction.

"Have ya and Fili come to a decision? How are ya going to proceed with Sara?" asked Dwalin, breaking Thorin from his preoccupation. The warrior had asked after her more and more as the days went by, but neither had sought the other out.

"We have, but I haven't had the chance to tell her yet. I aim to tell her tomorrow night after the feast if all goes well. I only hope that I have come up with an amicable solution. I never expected our traditions for finding a spouse to differ so much. I must admit her world's customs unnerve me quite a bit. There seems to be little in the way of loyalty for one's chosen partner, she even told us later that it is not uncommon for a married pair to separate, and some do it many times." Dwalin frowned.

"Ya don't really think Sara is the type to do that, do ya?"

"No I don't, but I can't say that the attitude doesn't frighten me. Then again I can see why she would be unwilling to commit just yet. She is a human and as such she is different in many ways."

"Aye, our ways were made for a dwarf and not for a human, let alone a girl who didn't even know dwarves existed a few months ago. Our females know what is expected of them in marriage, and we in turn know what is expected of us, so there is little left to discover except if the match is good. Our methods are tried and true... for a dwarf at any rate, but I suppose it's not the same with Sara."