INT. WILLOW'S FLASHBACK-DETENTION-SEPTEMBER FIFTEENTH-THREE PM

WILLOW is wearing punk rock attire. Her ginger hair is wildly curly, her fair skin is freckled across her nose and her eyeliner is a bit smudged. Her legs are kicked up on the desk and she's twirling a pencil.
LEVI is seated quietly with a pink skirt and white blouse. Her light blue jacket is draped across her chair and her white wedges are kicked off to the side. Her round glasses are on the bridge of her nose as she's reading a book. Her fist is bruised.

WILLOW
You didn't have to do that. [LEVI looks up]

LEVI
Correct.

WILLOW
You don't have to be so dry. [rolls eyes]

LEVI
[fixes her with a look] Stop talking. You'll get me in more trouble.

WILLOW
You act like I got you here. I was handling that just fine on my own. [snarls]

LEVI
Stop lying to yourself, you were being a pushover. You weren't going to do anything like always. You lock your feelings up so don't pull that tough-guy bullshit with me. I know you. The real you.

WILLOW stands up and shoves the desk away.

WILLOW
Don't act like you know me!

LEVI stands up.

LEVI
[calmly] I don't know who you're trying to be, but I do know you and I know when you're pretending.

WILLOW
I'm not pretending!

LEVI
Well if you're such a badass, then why didn't you punch him when he told you to kill yourself? Huh? Ms. Badass? If you were such a badass, you wouldn't be scared of the consequences of defending yourself. [long pause, Willow looks down] I suggest you drop the act and be you. The one before the summer, when you turned into a complete bitch.

WILLOW twirls a strand of hair around her finger and she bites her lip trying not to cry. LEVI gives her a sideways glance. LEVI gives the desk a couple of taps.

BELL RINGS
MR. CARNEY enters stage right, straightening his tie.

MR. CARNEY
You guys are free to go, sorry for my brief absence, my presence was required in the staff room.

Both girls file out.

INT. NEXT DAY-LOCKERS-AFTERNOON

WILLOW enters stage right, in a band tee, ripped skinny jeans, converse and a high ponytail.

LEVI is cornered by a large boy with a bruise covering half of his face. She is standing with her chin in the air.
WILLOW's eyes flicker between them assessing the scene.
Boy violently slams his fist into the locker beside LEVI's head.
WILLOW quickly approaches.

WILLOW
What the fuck do you want, Luca? [WILLOW places herself in front of LEVI.]

LUCA
To punish this bitch who hit me yesterday. [looks at LEVI] You hit like a bitch.

WILLOW
Must've been why you swore "that hurt like a bitch" because it hurt, right? [smirks]

LUCA
Was I talking to y[WILLOW's fist hit's his nose with a CRACK!] OU BITCH!

LUCA falls to the ground clutching his nose. WILLOW bends over and clutches his throat.

WILLOW
I don't care what you do to me, but if I ever catch you threatening her again I will not hesitate to break another bone, hell maybe even pop a testicle. Do I make myself clear?

LUCA
[snarls] Crystal.

WILLOW
Good. Now get out of my sight.

LUCA scrambles out stage left. WILLOW turns to LEVI.

LEVI
You didn't need to do that.

WILLOW
You're the one always telling me to stand up for what I love and believe in. [WILLOW looks away] You're my best friend, I love and believe in you. I know I haven't been the best friend lately and that I've been distant. I'm sorry, I'm just working through something right now. [WILLOW plays with her fingers]

LEVI pulls her into a hug.

LEVI
You know I'm always there for you, you could have said something. You know I'd understand. Truthfully, Ryn was a bit concerned also. You've been so cold, but just remember we are always here for you.

WILLOW
I've missed you so much. [WILLOW squeezes LEVI harder.]