TWENTY-FIVE

•:•

•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•
twenty-five
•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

THIRTY SECONDS INTO THEIR PLAN, and nothing was going the way it was supposed to.

Piper scrambled along the ridge, trying to keep her head down, while the rest of them walked straight into the clearing. Via knew she was probably supposed to shout some brave thing while hacking the giant to pieces, but all she could think of was we'resoscrewedwe'resoscrewedwe'resoscrewed.

Jason brandished his golden lance over his head and shouted, "Giant!" At least one of them could get the words out.

Enceladus stopped chanting at the flames. He turned towards them and grinned, revealing fangs like a saber-toothed tiger's.

"Well," the giant rumbled. "What a nice surprise."

Via didn't like the sound of that. She summoned her bow and notched three arrows, aiming for the giant's huge forehead.

Coach Hedge shouted, "Let the movie star go, you big ugly cupcake! Or I'm gonna plant my hoof right up your—"

"Coach, knock it off," Via growled.

Enceladus roared with laughter. "I've forgotten how funny satyrs are. When we rule the world, I think I'll keep your kind around. You can entertain me while I eat all the other mortals."

"Is that a compliment?" Hedge frowned at Leo. "I don't think that was a compliment."

The giant laughed menacingly and sniffed, like a dog on a chase. He turned to Via.

"Daughter of Poseidon, eh?" The giant laughed. "My brother Polybotes will be very upset that he missed you. But then, I suppose he has bigger morsels to feed on once he awakes."

Via gripped her bow tightly, not taking her eye off her target. "What do you mean?"

"Why, I mean your older brother, of course." Enceladus opened his mouth wide, and his teeth began to glow.

Before Via could could demand answers, Leo pushed her to the ground. "Scatter!" He yelled.

Jason and Hedge dove to the left as the giant blew fire—a furnace blast so hot even Festus would've been jealous. Leo dodged behind the bulldozer, wound up his homemade device, and dropped it into the driver's seat. Then he ran to the right.

Via got up quickly and notched her arrows. They flew straight into the giant's head. Enceladus picked them off like toothpicks.

From the corner of her eye, she saw Jason rise and charge the giant. Coach Hedge ripped off his canary yellow jacket, which was now on fire, and bleated angrily. "I liked that outfit!" Then he raised his club and charged, too.