TWENTY

•:•

•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•
twenty
•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

"I REALLY DON'T LIKE THE SOUND OF THAT," Via scowled.

"Wolves," Piper said. "They sound close."

Via got to her feet and summoned her bow and quiver. Leo, Hedge and Jason rose, each summoning their respective weapons. Piper tried, but immediately swayed, sitting back down.

"Stay there," Jason told her. "We'll protect you."

Piper frowned, but remained seated.

Then, just outside the firelight at the entrance of the cave, she saw a pair of red eyes glowing in the dark.

"Oh, shit." Via strung an arrow, preparing herself for an attack.

More wolves edged into the firelight—black beasts bigger than any wolf Via had ever seen. There was ice snow on their fur, and their fangs gleamed. Their red eyes looked cunning. The wolf in front was almost as tall as a horse, his mouth stained as if he'd just made a fresh kill.

Then Jason stepped forward and said something in Latin.

Via had no idea what Jason just said, but he made his point. The alpha wolf curled his lip. The fur stood up along his spine. One of his lieutenants whispered at his ear, then all of the wolves backed into the dark.

"Dude, I gotta study Latin." Leo's hammer shook in his hand. "What'd you say, Jason?"

Hedge cursed. "Whatever it was, it wasn't enough. Look."

The wolves were returned, but this time, the alpha wolf was absent. They didn't attack. They waited—at least a dozen now in a rough semicircle just outside the firelight, blocking the group's only exit.

The coach hefted his club. "Here's the plan. I'll kill them all, and you guys escape."

Despite the situation, Via guffawed. "Right. And we're definitely going to go with your awful plan."

Piper tried for a more straightforward approach. "Coach, they'll rip you apart."

"Nah, I'm good." Hedge said confidently.

Then Via saw the silhouette of a man coming through the storm, the wolf pack making way for him.

"Stick together." Jason said. "They respect a pack. And Hedge, no crazy stuff. We're not leaving you or anyone else behind."

The alpha stepped into the fire light. His hair was greasy and matted, the colour of soot, topped with a crown of what looked like finger bones. His robes were tattered fur of various animals. His frame was lithe and muscular, like a distance runner's. But the most horrible thing was his face. His thin pale skin was pulled tight over his skull. His teeth were sharpened like fangs. His eyes glowed bright red like his wolves'—and they fixed on Jason with absolute hatred.