PROLOGUE

•:•

•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•
prologue
•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

VIA WOKE UP AND SAT UP straight in her bed. Her blanket was strewn across the floor, and she was covered with cold sweat. Shaking, she got out of bed and went to the bathroom to wash her face. She clutched the silver brooch on her chest, the cold of the metal comforting her.

"Vi?"

Via jumped, only to see Percy standing behind her. She relaxed and sat down on her bed. "Sorry. Didn't mean to wake you up."

Percy shrugged. "That's okay. Nightmares woke you up?"

"Do you even have to ask?"

Percy took Via's trembling hands into his own. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Via flinched as she remembered the dark turn her dream had taken. The shouting. The screaming. The pain. It was like she could still feel the slash of their talons on her back. She shook her head firmly. "No."

"Medicine?"

Via sighed and nodded. Percy rummaged through her bedside drawer and brought out a bottle of green liquid. Via brought it to her lips, but the liquid never passed her mouth. Going back to sleep wasn't an issue. The problem was what came after she slept.

"The medicine will knock you out cold, okay? You won't have trouble sleeping now." He kissed her forehead and went back to his bed, which was in the other corner of Cabin 3.

Once she was sure Percy was asleep, Via quietly crept out of bed and changed her clothes. Once she reached the archery station, she activated her bow and arrow by touching the sapphire on brooch. She didn't leave the station until the sun came up.