Chapter 33: "M" is for Minions

Meanwhile, Cordelia and Volsair were doing what was expected.

Arguing like a Sphinx and a Griffon over who was a pretty kitty.

"He was supposed to have taken cover with you," Volsair said. His ear still ached from the blast. He had regained most of his balance, but he was still hearing that infernal ringing.

They had just finished searching the area for Alkanos. There was still no sign of him, it was if he had just vanished.

"I was on the other side of the street. What was I supposed to do? Go back into the blast zone and grab him?" Cordelia shot back. At least she was being sensitive of his hearing, she spoke at a normal volume and spoke clearly to him on his hearing side. 

***

Volsair wanted to yell at her. He wanted to blame her for not protecting Alkanos. He had been busy handling the bomb, so it was her fault Alkanos was missing. 

How did I get stuck with her?!  Volsair thought.  The last thing he needed was to go off on the one person who, as of right then, had his back.

"Well?" Cordelia said, putting her free hand on her hip. Her eyebrows furrowed. "Would you have preferred us to have switched places?"

Volsair took a deep breath, even with his ear like it was..."No. I would not. For one thing, you're wearing less armor than me."

Cordelia nodded.

"I'm sorry. I overreacted." Volsair said.

While he waited for Cordelia's reply, he checked his hurt ear's hearing.

There was still a lot of ringing, but he could now hear his snapping better.

"You think I wore too little armor?" 

"No. It's just -" Volsair said, "Oh forget it. Let's just find the prince so we can get outta here."

I try to apologize, but does she accept it? Nope. There's a difference between wearing *less* armor and *too little* armor. But can she see it? He thought.

***

Cordelia didn't reply. If he's going to react like that, I'd be better off talking to a brick wall.  Cordelia thought, I ask a simple question, for his opinion, and he overreacts. Yes, he's hurt, but he could be a smidgen nicer to me. 

Cordelia examined the where Alkanos had hid. 

There was a large depression where he had been laying. But other than that, nothing.

Wonder what happened? Don't want to consult Volsair.  She thought, grinding her teeth.

***

"You may be right about that," Alkanos said to his captors. "But, what do you want with me?

"It's not that we want you. Other than that, it's on a need-to-know basis. " The male said.

"And let me guess, I don't need to know?" Alkanos asked, struggling against his shackles. He winced as a new wave of sharp pain went through his wrists.

If I can roar, Volsair and Cordelia might be able to hear me. He thought.  If they can work together.

***

"Something smells odd." Volsair commented. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

Explosives. That's all I can smell.  He thought, opening his eyes.