Chapter 16

I reach victors village and get to my door. I open the door and start looking for Peeta in the house. I check in the living room, the kitchen, the dining room, the study, the other downstairs rooms I never use, and then I make my way upstairs.

I check Prim's room, my mothers room, Peetas painting room, the bathroom, when I finally find him in our room.

"Peeta ?" I ask. He's crying.

"Don't try to stop me Katniss" he sniffles.

"Stop you what Peeta .... your scaring me...." that's when I see the bag.

"All my life I've loved you Katniss .... all my life I've dreamed of being with you.... and now .... look at me .... I finally have you and I mess that up too..... I've always wanted to be the best thing for you... because I know that no one could love you more than me..... but now I see that the best thing for you is to distance yourself from me... all my life I've loved you Katniss ... all my life"

"Peeta don't do this ..." he picks up his bag. "Please Peeta" he walks over to me. "No Peeta don't" I'm wailing into his face. He gives me a kiss on the cheek.

"Goodbye Katniss" he walks down the stairs.

"PEETA ! NOOOOOO ! Peeta" I scream as I fall to the floor.

But it's too late.

He's gone.