Chapter 15: The Mountains, Part III

Start from the beginning

"What is—" she started, then stopped. I caught up and saw a figure standing squarely in the doorway (or cave opening). Shoulder length black hair, green streak. He had a sword in hand, and it was pointed towards the girl/woman/whatever. Apparently he didn't see me, because the first thing he said was:

"Where have you taken that girl?"

"Wait," I blurted out, "Someone took Rumi?" He wouldn't call Nya "that girl".

He saw me and showed the tiniest sign of surprise, then regained his posture. "No, her."

"Who are you?" she inquired.

"Morro, the Master of Wind. I am here to rescue the damsel in distress." He said the last few words with an air of distaste. I wondered why he had come in the first place if he hated her so much. Because he did. "So, this is where your bugs took Lloyd?"

She glared at him with abhorrence. "They're not bugs, silly boy!"

He merely watched her with an air of mild entertainment. "You know, I couldn't care less about her, to be honest. But I agreed to get her. Oh, and hi Lloyd, glad you're here. We should go back." Morro paused, then added, "Huh, why didn't I just agree to get you in the first place instead of her?"

"No," she stepped in between us. "The Chosen One is going to stay with me."

I shot Morro a look so that he wouldn't give me away. He seemed to understand.

"Of course," he said, "I shall leave."

"You're not going anywhere." she said, and beetles filled up the entrance. I could only look at him and shrug helplessly.

"Well," I said, trying to make small talk, "We were just talking... and I believe Morro can join in as well. He's a very important part of our mission"

She groaned. "Fine. Go down that way." Well, she definitely seemed easily persuaded. We followed her into a room at the back and made ourselves comfortable.

"My great-great-great-great-great...great-grandfather once ruled this land," she said. "It was a beautiful place, with fields and flowers and meadows. The people built cities and everyone was happy. And if you know anything about the Shadow Knight, he hated seeing other people happy when he himself was miserable. He shapeshifted himself into an old woman—"

"Excuse me for interrupting," I said, "But the Shadow Knight can shapeshift? And he turned into a woman?"

"It is one of his favorite powers. He loves shapeshifting, but he can only do it when he is strong enough. He could be any one of you."

Morro glanced at me. I knew what he was thinking: the Shadow Knight could blend in with the people around and could be following us just like that.

"Then how can we make sure we haven't come across the Shadow Knight?" I asked, and felt goosebumps rising on my arms. "At least we know you're not the Shadow Knight, for you wouldn't be telling us this..."

She laughed the first true laugh I had seen her do. "True, Chosen One. But there are clues. You have powers, right? So he wouldn't be able to shapeshift into one of you, or he could, but he wouldn't be able to duplicate your powers. Second, the Shadow Knight prefers becoming a female."

"Eww," Morro couldn't help but say. I nodded in agreement.

"Also, you must be careful to never kiss the Shadow Knight," the girl/woman said warningly.

"W-why?" My voice trembled.

"He could corrupt you just like that. And anyone who's been kissed by the Shadow Knight could, too."